Thread: Jackets / Sweaters to keep warm in a cold office

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)

Jackets / Sweaters to keep warm in a cold office

Hi folks,

I work in a fairly casual office environment (in tech), but run cold. Beyond that, living in Seattle, it's frequently chilly.

My go to for everyday wear around the office is either a shawl-collar sweater (worn with a long sleeve warmup layer underneath), or flannels (layered with the aforementioned warmup layer) and chinos.

Even with those things, I still frequently feel cold around the office. That means I often end up wearing one of my 3 staple jackets (something similar to this one most often, but sometimes this or a packable down) for most of the day.

Looking for suggestions of additional jacket-type warming layers I can incorporate. Just ordered my first thick cardigan, and that might be a good option over my flannels, but wondering if you all have alternative suggestions. Jackets? Shirt-jackets? Thick versatile sweaters? I'm open to ideas!

Thanks in advance for your guidance,
    Daniel

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    What about a base layer underneath? Something like a merino smartwool base layer, a button up, a lightweight v neck, a chunky cardigan or bomber cardigan should keep you warm enough. You could throw a tweed blazer over all of that as well if you were still cold.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Not trying to be a jerk, but have you had your thyroid checked? Having to wear a down jacket all day inside seems a bit excessive to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    I have a couple shawl cardigans from Gap and even though they are 100% cotton they are nice and warm due to their bulk. You could also try a fleece lined base layer. My wife has a pair of Hot Chillys that she loves.

Don't forget a pair of merino wool socks or a heat retaining synthetic.

But yeah if you are wearing a good fleece lined base layer, a flannel shirt, a heavy shawl cardigan and still need extra warmth I think you must be working in an igloo.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    and by the way, I have that 32 degree warm up layer...I am a big fan of 32 degree but I dont think those things help very much. My merino wool layer was a little more money but us way better at retaining heat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Getting your thyroid levels checked is never a bad idea. Mine went temporarily haywire about a decade ago and while it was spilling hormone I would break into sweats periodically just sitting at my desk. I was losing weight without even trying. One of my female colleagues was like "I want a thyroid disorder" but...after that I went deficient for a while and was cold all the time and the weight came back on. I eventually normalized.

I was in an office that was really chilly last year. I'd opt for a good mid to heavy weight wool cardigan. You could go with a shetland or heavier merino wool crewneck or something but cardigans are nice for the office because you don't have to pull them off over your head. Or, a wool shirt jacket, which leans even more casual than a cardigan. Or, if your office is not so casual that this would be out of place, a casual tweed sport coat would add warmth and style, and is more indoor appropriate than outerwear. It also gives you multiple indoor layering options - shirt with sweater, shirt with sport coat, shirt with sport coat AND sweater.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    252 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk, but have you had your thyroid checked? Having to wear a down jacket all day inside seems a bit excessive to me.
    depends. my office is kept cold as hell for some reason. i estimate 60 degrees. it's ridiculous. that said, a simple basic sweater is enough for me. today i went with one of the shawl collar sweaters from target recommended on here. quite surprisingly nice for the low price i paid, and the shawl helps warm the neck a bit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    Some good suggestions here. Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.

@idvsego I like the idea of a more substantial and warm base layer. You're probably right that my current undershirt isn't doing that much. If I did that with a flannel and chunky cardigan, I think I'd be ok, warmth wise.

@Creature my wife is a nurse and says I'm fine. Don't have any signs of a low thyroid - everyone in my family just seems to run cold. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Ron - I could see how something like this would make a difference. Fleece lined base layer also sounds very warm, and didn't know they were a thing. Something to google, along with merino base layers. So many more base options than I initially thought about!

@mark4 I have been looking at a sherpa lined shirt-jacket. Can't imagine that not being warm enough. My office is about as casual as it can get - not uncommon to see t-shirts and jeans (though flannel etc is more common). If I wore a blazer, it would look like I was trying too hard (alas, because I'd actually LIKE to wear them more often).

@Hebrew Barrister as you'll see, I'm trying much the same thing

A few days back, I did order this cardigan during cyber Monday. When that arrives, we'll see if it's helpful. I

Based on this thread, I'm also about to go on a base layer online shopping spree. Thank god for free returns.
    Last edited by Danny; December 6th, 2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: formatting

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)
    How about getting a smaller heater for under your desk? my coworker runs extremely cold all the time. When the other guys are in the office they crank it down. I am also freezing but not to her levels. She got a little heater under there. Keeps her feet warm and adds heat to that area. Also helps avoid having to wear a big jacket at work.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    How about getting a smaller heater for under your desk? my coworker runs extremely cold all the time. When the other guys are in the office they crank it down. I am also freezing but not to her levels. She got a little heater under there. Keeps her feet warm and adds heat to that area. Also helps avoid having to wear a big jacket at work.
    those heaters are banned in a lot of large offices. huge current draw. get 2 or 3 on the same breaker and pow...lights out for that section. has happened more than once at out office.