Thread: Opinions on orvis?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)

Opinions on orvis?

I like alliteration.

Took a look through an orvis store and liked a lot of wait I saw. Not the cheapest so I was looking for input to see if it's worth the coin and would last a while. Anyone have some orvis pieces they have had for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1466 Post(s)
    I have a pair of the Orivs lamp skin gloves. No complaints. I can't comment on any of their other clothing though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I have a pair of the Orivs lamp skin gloves. No complaints. I can't comment on any of their other clothing though.
    My wife just purchased for me a pair of the Battenkill Cashmere lined leather gloves. She asked me to try them on before she puts them under the tree.

The leather is buttery soft and the cashmere lining was comfortable.

I can't attest to their durability but they look well made.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)
    Orvis has many great items, I think most of them are accessories. The entire line is kind of aimed at the 'gentleman dandy outdoorsman' 150K a year 55+ year old who thinks because he goes and shoots a bird once a year he is some kind of inspired hunter.

Orvis has two faces, the FISHING GEAR side, in which they make continue to make grand and important technological innovations that effect the entire industry again and again for relatively reasonable prices, and the $120 poor quality dress shirt side which they really don't do that well in.

If you don't know, Orvis is quite possibly the best full-line Fly rod manufacturer in the entire world. They also make excellent technical fishing gear like waders and vests, and excel with other kinds of fishing lines or other fishing do-dads. In fishing gear, they are frankly not unchallenged, but they usually have the most innovative and best quality equipment available, especially when you start looking on the budget to intermediate ends. I'm sure there are some boutique manufacturers that could put them to shame on some individual item, but overall they really are excellent.

I have purchased a few hundred dollars worth of fishing stuff at Orvis and it's just great.

The clothes side is lots of very expensive and poorly fitting clothes put up for prices that aren't even competitive with other products in other stores. They often shoot for brooks brothers pricing on items that are maybe on basis of quality alone, perhaps little nicer than something you'd find at target. But it's styled poorly, and aimed at a old out of shape, out of fashion buyer. It's disappointing in many ways.

As a solid example, Orvis sells their flannel for $99, and it's objectively worse than the LL bean one that is $49.99.

One of their only saving graces is that they often have a good pair of gloves for sale. Also they have Barbour coats if you're into that sort of thing.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    @evanparker that's what I was afraid of lol. They did have some fantastic gloves and the Barbour selection was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I would lean into their hard-goods and accessories more so than clothing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Evan Parker has it pretty much spot on. Expect roomy fits. They do have some actual Barbour and other heritage brands, and if you go with those you might pay more for what you're getting than if you found it somewhere else, but the quality will be there. For their Orvis brand clothing...you might as well get it a lot cheaper at L.L. Bean. Or Lands' End. LL Bean is a near-perfect substitute for pretty much everything they do clothing-wise and at a lower price point.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I don't own any Orvis branded items, but I did buy a Barbour jacket from them a few years back. Therefore, I can only attest to their overall buying experience which was great.

The jacket I ordered went on a 20% sale (which is very rare for Barbour) the day after I bought it. After contacting customer service they refunded me the 20% difference, and my item shipped and arrived within a few days.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    644 Post(s)
    The other thing i'll mention is that Orvis has it's days numbered as a clothing manufacturer most likely.

I think the Orvis shoppers are aging out right now.

Their aspiring sport-associating buyers are buying "salt life" clothes.

The traditional buyers will all be in nursing homes in the next 10 years.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    I had an Orvis Weatherbreaker jacket, which is their version of a harrington, down to the tartan liner. It was great for 1/4 the price of the Barracuta. I plan to buy another as a replacement.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond