Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday Boots firsts vs. Allen Edmonds seconds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Thursday Boots firsts vs. Allen Edmonds seconds?

Hey all, I'm curious to hear from those of you who have recent-ish experience w/ both brands. I own some AE from years ago, but have heard their quality has diminished, while perhaps Thursday has gotten better as they've grown. The other consideration is of course potential flaws and the $25 re-stocking fee with AE seconds.

I only want to spend $200 for boots I'm not going to be quite as delicate with as I am with my Daltons. So currently it's the Thursday Cadet in walnut (https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...llection=boots) vs. the AE Higgins Mill seconds in brown chromexcel (http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=130).

Also, I don't like the toe shape in the 1000 Miles or Iron Rangers, so those aren't in consideration.

Please let me know of any thoughts, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I own a pair of brown captain's Thursdays and AE park ave oxfords. I also have tried on the AE higgin mills.

My Thursdays are about 4 years old now, they are pretty versatile and durable, I wear them quite a bit during the winter and I have not babied them at all.
    I would say though that Allen edmonds, including the factory seconds, are higher quality. Thursday boots are solid quality, don't get me wrong, but when you directly compare them, you can tell the AEs are still a cut above.
    I bought the Thursdays and the higgins mills factory seconds, and I ended up choosing the Thursdays primarily because the toe shape. The AE Higgin mills is more rounded and more dopey looking than the Thursday's IMO. However if you feel you like the style of the Higgins just as much, I would recommend going for them for the higher quaility.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    I really like the 3 pairs of Thursday boots that I own. I wear them all but summer. I don't have any AE boots, but I do have 3 pair of AE shoes. The leather quality may be better, but I'm not enough of an expert to be too concerned with the difference. Of my boots, one is made from Thursday chromexcel, one is full grain leather, and one is Horween chromexcel. The Thursday chrome creased on the vamp quite a bit. I'm not sure if it was loose grain or just how they boot creases. I think it's loose grain because it's more pronounced on one boot than the other. Loose grain is a defect that affects shoes/boots from many companies, so I won't drag Thursday for that. Overall, I would say Thursday is worth a try.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    AE is well documented and Thursday is evenly praised and trashed. If they are more of beater boots then its not the end of the world, but i still think the leather quality would make them last a lot longer than Thursday

AE can be really classic looking and Thursday can be quite slim and trendy. Personally, i am likely to go AE (even though i prefer something in the middle of both of them) because of styling and then the better quality is icing on the cake for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    So I have black Thursday Captains, Allen Edmonds Fifth Aves, and a pair of Wolverines.

My experience with my Thursdays has been awesome. They are one of the most comfortable shoes I own. That said, the leather is definitely more pliable than the Allen Edmond's and therefore has deeper creases. I have had them for about 2 years now and love them. I have had the Allen Edmonds for about 3 years and the Wolverines for 4.5 years.
    Here are some photos to give you some idea what I'm talking about. They are in descending order of how often I wear them with the Thursday's being worn most often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks all, I really appreciate it!

I ended up trying the Thursday Cadets, and I have to agree that they're incredibly comfortable right out of the gate, way more so than my AE boots and shoes were (and in some instances, are). Plus they fit perfectly. I can tell the leather isn't as nice, but for my purposes I'm okay with that, and I wouldn't say it's bad for the price. Main downside is that the walnut color is quite different in person than on the site (one of my pet peeves). I'm looking forward to giving them some good wear this fall.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    I think I'm weighing in a little late, but my thoughts:

I have seen a lot of negativity online about Thursday boots, mostly in the gyw reddit. I bought a pair of Captains 4 years ago, and I have had zero issues with them. I was actually in NYC wearing them last weekend, and I walked 25 miles over three days around the city. By the end, my index and middle toes were bruised from the reinforced cap toe, but I see that as a sign of quality of the leather and construction. I think for $200, you will not be able to beat them as far as comfort and style. I also had a belt and wallet from Thursday that were high quality. I did buy a pair of their hikers once, but I sent them back because they came with several blemishes and scuffs out the box. I have heard that Thursdays have continued to get better over the years, as you mentioned previously, but my 2015 Captains have been fine.

I have several pairs of AE shoes, and while I am a big fan, I only buy first quality. Seconds are hit or miss; you may not know why they are second quality until you get them, but you do know they are nearly half off because they aren't firsts. You may get lucky and get a pair that are 99% perfect, but you are just as (if not more) likely to get a pair that aren't. I will say that while my AE shoes are very comfortable for leather dress shoes, I could not walk 25 miles in three days in any of them. But that is comparing apples to oranges, as I've not tried their boots, and the Higgins Mill is not designed for the same purposes as say the Park Aves or Fifth Aves that I own.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of Thursday Boots too. Some of mine are going on four years now and I have had none of the problems that some other have (fortunately for me). I wear mine all the time in the Fall and Winter. My favorites are my Captains in Natural, chromexcel horween leather. They were actually the first pair I ever bought from TBC. Not only have they held up well, but I think they look better all the time as they age. The other thing I've always liked about TBC is the shape of the toe. I like the more sleek looking shape as opposed to boots that are more rounded looking.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)
    The channel "Stridewise" on youtube is a guy from Australia who does boot reviews. He has pretty much every recognizable boot from every widely known company. From $100 boots to $1000 boots. His favorite pair based on quality, comfort, and cost, are Thursday Boot Co. - Captains.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUl...11sHJ-MeTzCBaQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    @Shade, that guy is one of the reasons I was interested in trying them.

@smitty, I also really like the toe shape and sleekness vs a lot of other options out there.

@Paddington, agreed. It's been interesting b/c I've now had two experiences in a row (first with a pair of Paul Evans captoes I got a good deal on, now with TBC) where they are considerably more comfortable to walk in than my AE's.