Thread: Spier & Mackay shorts and polo shirts

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Spier & Mackay shorts and polo shirts

I have the S&M navy hopsack blazer and love it, but I'm curious as to the quality on their more casual leaning items. Does anyone have experience with their shorts and/or polo shirts? How do they fit, does the quality seem like it will last, etc?

Once the weather starts to warm up and we are allowed to go outside again, I'll be looking to revamp my summer casual clothes. I'm also hoping to provide a small distraction from everything else that is happening in the world .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    FYI, they changed polo fit this release. I am happy to see this. i have a larger chest and def find them tight. I would order my normal size still for a better fit.

Please Note: We've updated the fit for a more relaxed fit/feel. If you have purchased polos from previous seasons, it is suggested to size down for a similar fit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    I have two buttondown S&M polos from two years ago (ie old fit) and just got a new one this year (ie updated fit). The old ones have held up great, I've always cold washed and hang dried. They are indeed quite slim compared to others (size M). I picked up the new one also in size M, after one wash (and air dry), it measures about 1.5 inches larger pit-to-pit and 2 inches shorter, compared to the old fit. While the old model had a thicker pique material, the new one is noticeably lighter (in a good way) and has a smoother hand (still pique).
    Sizing wise, stick to your usual US size if you want a nice relaxed fit, size down if you want a quite slim fit (although length might be a problem at that point).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    I have two buttondown S&M polos from two years ago (ie old fit) and just got a new one this year (ie updated fit). The old ones have held up great, I've always cold washed and hang dried. They are indeed quite slim compared to others (size M). I picked up the new one also in size M, after one wash (and air dry), it measures about 1.5 inches larger pit-to-pit and 2 inches shorter, compared to the old fit. While the old model had a thicker pique material, the new one is noticeably lighter (in a good way) and has a smoother hand (still pique).
    Sizing wise, stick to your usual US size if you want a nice relaxed fit, size down if you want a quite slim fit (although length might be a problem at that point).
    Thanks! This is helpful.

Just to be clear... you're saying this year's model is 2 inches shorter in overall length? I'm 6'1" so even though I'm not necessarily tall, I've had some problems in the past with polo shirts being too short. Wondering if that would cause some issues for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abh159 View Post
    Thanks! This is helpful.

Just to be clear... you're saying this year's model is 2 inches shorter in overall length? I'm 6'1" so even though I'm not necessarily tall, I've had some problems in the past with polo shirts being too short. Wondering if that would cause some issues for me.
    Glad to be of help.
    Yes. I just went and measured the length again (this year's new model). From the back of the collar band to the bottom hem, it's ~26 inches if you measure from the bottom of the collar band, ~27 if from the top of the collar band. So it is close to the measurement posted on their website but on the shorter side (within manufacturing tolerance, website says 27.4 for size M). Depending on how you like to wear your polo (tucked vs untucked), it may be a problem. I don't ever tuck my polos so a bit on the shorter side is not a problem for me. I'm ~5-10 to 5-11 with pretty average build/proportions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Glad to be of help.
    Yes. I just went and measured the length again (this year's new model). From the back of the collar band to the bottom hem, it's ~26 inches if you measure from the bottom of the collar band, ~27 if from the top of the collar band. So it is close to the measurement posted on their website but on the shorter side (within manufacturing tolerance, website says 27.4 for size M). Depending on how you like to wear your polo (tucked vs untucked), it may be a problem. I don't ever tuck my polos so a bit on the shorter side is not a problem for me. I'm ~5-10 to 5-11 with pretty average build/proportions. roadrunner email
    This is awesome.
    Last edited by elepsein; Yesterday at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling