Page 1253 of 1265 FirstFirst ... 253753115312031243125112521253125412551263 ... LastLast
Results 12,521 to 12,530 of 12650

Thread: WIWT

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1607 Post(s)
    Where do you even put them all
    Ben

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I was wondering the same, sweaters take up a ton of space!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    If you are concerned about fit or worried about guessing with sizing, you might consider the Ashby as an alternative to the Beaufort. It is basically the same jacket but offered in slightly more tailored, true-to-size S/M/L sizing. I usually wear 36R jackets and a small Ashby fits me fine either on its own or over a suit jacket.

I think the sleeves on the Ashby are slightly longer as well, which might be helpful if you are concerned about the sleeves getting too short if you size down with a Beaufort.
    This is definitely accurate but for the Bedale and not the Beaufort. The Ashby is a riff on the shorter Bedale equestrian jacket, while the Beaufort is longer, long enough to cover a blazer if one so chooses. I’ve got both a Bedale and an Ashby and the Bedale definitely trends boxier with shorter sleeves. I’m a 38 in most jackets and went with a 38 Bedale, M in the Ashby.

@JBarwick, is your Beaufort made in England?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Doctor View Post
    This is definitely accurate but for the Bedale and not the Beaufort. The Ashby is a riff on the shorter Bedale equestrian jacket, while the Beaufort is longer, long enough to cover a blazer if one so chooses. I’ve got both a Bedale and an Ashby and the Bedale definitely trends boxier with shorter sleeves. I’m a 38 in most jackets and went with a 38 Bedale, M in the Ashby.

@JBarwick, is your Beaufort made in England?
    Yea. Aren't all Beauforts Made in England and some of the other jackets are elsewhere? I also got a hood with mine so it all ages at the same time. Next want is a waxed hat...just don't want to spend $50 on a hat.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I was wondering the same, sweaters take up a ton of space!
    In the walk in closet? I hang all my cardigans, shawl sweaters, other thick/bulky sweaters.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Yea. Aren't all Beauforts Made in England and some of the other jackets are elsewhere? I also got a hood with mine so it all ages at the same time. Next want is a waxed hat...just don't want to spend $50 on a hat.
    From what I've seen, all Bedales and Beauforts are made in England and most other things tend to be made in Bulgaria, though I have come across a couple of other jackets made in England (including an Ashby at J. Crew, though mine was made in Bulgaria). I had previously thought the Border was in the made in England category as it's basically just a longer version of the other two, but my brother recently discovered his Border was made in Bulgaria as well. That's why I asked; I was hoping to confirm that they weren't shifting production of core products like the Beaufort away from England as well. Also, I believe whether or not a Bedale or Beaufort is "Classic" or "Original" refers to the finish on the cotton ("Classic" is coated with Barbour's proprietary Sylkoil and has a more matte appearance) and not anything to do with fit or dimensions, but I don't think that has any effect on origin.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Doctor View Post
    Also, I believe whether or not a Bedale or Beaufort is "Classic" or "Original" refers to the finish on the cotton ("Classic" is coated with Barbour's proprietary Sylkoil and has a more matte appearance) and not anything to do with fit or dimensions, but I don't think that has any effect on origin.
    You're right about the difference between the the Classic and non-classic line being primarily fabric used.

From Orvis' page on Barbour jackets:

Sylkoil is an “unshorn” wax where the cotton comes straight from the loom while it’s slightly fluffy and is then dyed and waxed. The natural imperfections of the weave are reflected in the rich variations of color and finish. Over time, this fabric softens into a lovely, slightly peachy looking cotton between waxes.

Thornproof is a lustrous wax with a deep color and even touch. The cotton is calendered between rollers and then dyed. The resulting finish is smooth cotton which we term Thornproof because it is extremely resistant to snags and pulls from spiky plants such as brambles and hawthorn.

Another good comparison site is Best in the Country's Barbour Guide as it has measurements and a features chart.

I have a Dept B. Commander (that I never wear and want to trade out for a Bedale or a Beaufort), a Sapper (Sylkoil that I rewaxed myself, which was a mistake and I should have let Barbour do it), and a Border (Thornproof, bought off eBay, needs to be rewaxed as it looks like something Hagrid would wear).

-Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Quoted
    801 Post(s)
    I have the shinier jacket for sure.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    In the walk in closet? I hang all my cardigans, shawl sweaters, other thick/bulky sweaters.
    I always thought that hanging sweaters was bad since it stretched out the weave.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I always thought that hanging sweaters was bad since it stretched out the weave.
    I was concerned with that, too, when I started hanging them a few years back, but I've never had any issues so far.

Here's my favorite to round out the 12 Days of Cardigan. Got a few more in the closet but gonna go back to changing it up.

BR Merino shawl cardigan (thick and warm)
    J.Crew merino sweater and button down
    BR selvedge
    J.Crew Ludlow PCT
    Modded Invicta 8926
    Last edited by Nandyn; November 16th, 2017 at 01:43 PM.