Page 286 of 1315 FirstFirst ... 1862362762842852862872882963363867861286 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 13144

Thread: WIWT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If you're thicker across your chest/back that is what gives you the V as you thin down when you go towards your mid section.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Yeah Vicious, you need to start getting things tailored etc for sure, your sweater made you look like 20lbs heavier. Make friends with a tailor, ANY charles tyrwhitt shirt I order has to be tailored, ESF/Black included(they don't really drop much) the TM lewin extra slim is still a bit roomy but I could wear it under a jacket I think.

Jcrew Polos I wear a medium(not medium slim!) and i'm about 41-42 chest 30-31 waist and they fit pretty well, never had anyone say it looks too tight, should have posted in the how does this fit!

Regarding your description, I think you mean you have a large rib cage? I'm a small frame(18" shoulder bone, like a little girl) and my back is built to hell as I don't do the whole typical gym rat chest all the time, and having a built back really gives you the v taper as your lats flare out like a flying squirrel.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quoted
    534 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Regarding your description, I think you mean you have a large rib cage? I'm a small frame(18" shoulder bone, like a little girl) and my back is built to hell as I don't do the whole typical gym rat chest all the time, and having a built back really gives you the v taper as your lats flare out like a flying squirrel.
    Yes! The rib cage thing is a good way of putting it that I'd never thought of. I've always been naturally thick across the top despite not doing any weight lifting. I'll do pushups and pullups at home and then mostly cardio. I think I'm similar to you in the shoulder area since I typically have to get a jacket in a 38 so the shoulders fit properly and then have the tailor let it out a bit so it fits me everywhere else without pulling.

I'm probably a few pounds heavier now than I am in that pic as it's cold here so I can't get out to do any cardio. I get up to about 165 by the time spring starts and then get back to about 160 again.

I'm 36 now so I have a higher body fat percentage than Foodie does which is why I don't think mine tapers as well as his does. Also, I recently got married and the wife is generally happy with the way most of my stuff looks. She wouldn't be as happy if I started spending more money on tailoring stuff that she thinks looks fine.

I do appreciate the opinions and tips though. If I was single, I might try to get the fit impeccable. But my primary goal now is making her happy so that wins out.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    The lack of taper would make sense if your size is more due to rib cage and not really body fat, as I mentioned above, having developed lats add a lot to the V, so weighted pullups!

I was going to say, don't dress to impress your wife, dress for future career(Dressing well/appearance matters) but I think you work from home so that arguement wouldn't work

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Not really digging this shirt. I bought it at Goodwill last summer for $8 before I really figured out what kind of shirts I like then made the mistake of paying $25 to have my tailor take in the sides and sleeves. I guess the fit is OK (?) but the shoulder seams are still way off and it feels like a gross "going out" shirt. The only reason I'm wearing it today because is because the rest of my shirts are in the laundry or at the tailor. Again, I'm stuck with the lone button-up on top because it's too damn warm to wear a sweater today and I don't have a sport coat.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    MattRicketts, You know, that actually looks pretty good if you ignore the shoulder seams. Add a watch and some brogues and you've got a great casual outfit going on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'll second bruschetta's opinion, Matt. Yeah, the shoulder seams are low, but the rest of the fit is fine.

Two lessons here, imo: 1) It's inevitable, but not catastrophic, to make mistakes in your clothing choices when you're learning/evolving (which is always, really). All you can do is try to minimize them and not have them be too stupid/expensive. 2) It's also possible, the further you get into clothing, to lose a bit of perspective, in the quest for perfection, on what's good enough and what will or won't be noticed by others. Is your shirt perfect? No. Is it good enough to wear? Plenty.

Also, consider investing in a light weight sweater or two if you live in a warmer climate. I don't own any myself, but I believe there are linen (or linen-blends) and other varieties of material that won't overheat you like a wool sweater can.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    I almost never wear a shirt on its own. Layering anything over it will eliminate any shoulder seam issue.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quoted
    534 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    I was going to say, don't dress to impress your wife, dress for future career(Dressing well/appearance matters) but I think you work from home so that arguement wouldn't work
    Even if I did go in to the office, I work in IT. There was 1 maybe 2 guys who would dress decent out of a group of about 50 people on the IT floor.

Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    I almost never wear a shirt on its own. Layering anything over it will eliminate any shoulder seam issue.
    That depends on how warm/cold it is though. I agree with you, but at like 65 degree weather, you're kind of caught in between.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Quoted
    534 Post(s)

Shirt - JCrew Factory OCBD - $20
    Sweater - BR - $35
    Pants - BR Factory - $40
    Shoes - Johnston & Murphy - $70
    Coat - LLBean - $85
    Scarf - LastCall -$40