Page 112 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1218

Thread: eBay Footwear Listings

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Agreed, it's clear the seller doesn't know what he's doing (lists as shell cordovan but then says retail is $365). But suppose it were shell. What's the fair eBay price for something like this, undamaged? Damaged?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Definitely not shell. In addition to the way the leather looks, AE has used JR soles on their shell for a while now. Even before they used JR soles, I think they always put a dovetailed heel on shell. Repair job looks like crap. I bet you could get those new from the Shoebank under $200 during a sale so that wasn't any bargain. I bet the buyer is a bit of a noob and he's all excited for his new "shell" shoes. He's gonna be pissed when he realizes they are calf, he'll open a case, and the seller will have to take them back. If you want them, watch for them again in a few weeks! They might go sub-$100 without the "shell" description considering the heel damage.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon View Post
    Agreed, it's clear the seller doesn't know what he's doing (lists as shell cordovan but then says retail is $365). But suppose it were shell. What's the fair eBay price for something like this, undamaged? Damaged?
    look at completed listings for them. shell usually retains its value pretty well. but something like a tear in the upper, regardless of a "repair job" (that one is laughable), is a dealbreaker for me at least.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post
    look at completed listings for them. shell usually retains its value pretty well. but something like a tear in the upper, regardless of a "repair job" (that one is laughable), is a dealbreaker for me at least.
    I could do that, but if I only looked at completed listing prices for sold auctions of Allen Edmonds calf shoes, I'd conclude that 15-year-old shoes that need a new sole and heel and have minor damage are worth $125-$150. In reality, I think $50 is about what I would pay if recrafting is needed. Likewise for new calf, the most I would pay is $175, since that's what I've paid so far for my six (seven?) pairs of firsts. The fair price of shell, then, like calf, is closely tied to the alternatives.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    How do you guys wear used shoes? A good shoe, especially, is going to have conformed to somebody else's foot.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    How do you guys wear used shoes? A good shoe, especially, is going to have conformed to somebody else's foot.
    Buy lightly used.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I haven't yet found a compelling enough eBay listing to buy used, except the new (not used) pair of merlot PA's that I resold in order to buy new merlot McAllisters.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siepi View Post
    Buy lightly used.
    +1. Ideally something that was the wrong size or wrong last for the owner and just wasn't worn more than a couple of times.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    +1. Ideally something that was the wrong size or wrong last for the owner and just wasn't worn more than a couple of times.
    Yup. The first pair of used ebay shoes I bought had already molded to someone else's feet. It was a learning experience.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    ouch. You guys have made me regret my recent purchases, lol.