Thread: Going away presents for younger brothers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can give me some advice about what to get for my brothers as going away presents. My budget for each of them is less than $25.

One brother is 21 and is transferring to a school in the bay area. His interests including road bicycle racing and pretty much anything else outdoors-related (surfing, paddleboarding, kayaking, hiking, etc.). He recently purchased his first car and he doesn't drink.

The other is 18 and is going out of state for school. He will be majoring in aeronautical engineering and is slightly less outdoorsy than brother 1. He likes to read and is very studious. He is also into road cycling, and he enjoys playing goofy games.

I like the money clip featured in today's Macy's picks but I'm not sure that they'd find it useful.

So basically I just need a whole bunch of ideas to pick from If you were leaving home for the first time and were a 21 or 18yo man, what would you want (that costs less than $25)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Adri,

Your 21 year old brother sounds difficult to buy for with those specific interests that seem to require mostly expensive equipment.

Like your 18 year old brother, I love books and having them around. One thing I enjoy as a gift is a vintage book. Does he have a favorite book or author that you know of? There are a ton of websites that make it easy to find cheaper, nice quality vintage books (assuming he is not a connoisseur looking for 1st editions). I have gotten several nice ones from some of my favorite authors for way below $25 on half.com. You may be able to get him a couple ones in decent shape or one great one.

Just a thought.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's a couple bucks over your price point (about $30), but my wife got me one of these guys (http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CCkQ8wIwAw) last year for Christmas, and I abolsutely love it. Definitely has a military/outdoors feel to it, especially with the green face (although other color options are available).