Page 10 of 274 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just purchased some Lighter brown Cord pants form target last night, I'm Wondering how the cord pants will go with that Sport Coat. I suppose it could work. I just don't want to look like the guy who "Shot the couch". lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Tat try it out... I think it might be too much texture in one outfit. Usually if one thing is rough you want the others to be smooth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@JC. What do your typical outfits look like when you incorporate a Classic Tweed Sports Coat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Well, I don't have one yet

Glen is sending me one, though. I've noticed with my heavy wool sweaters with a lot of texture that they look off with cords (at least to me). I'm not a fan of cords in general though and I just put the last pairs I had in my donation pile last night, so...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah ok, so this tweed sports coat is a trial run for us both. I'll stay conservative with the styling for the time being.

I found this image of a RL tweed coat. I like this look a lot.

Picture #7

https://picasaweb.google.com/1048294...61183522376050

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

Just as a suggestion on the tweeds - keep in mind that tweed was originally workwear/outdoor wear. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it with "modern" workwear pieces like flannel shirts, jeans, and boots. You can dress it up as well, obviously, but I think it's more fun to dress it down, or more accurately, to take it back to its casual roots.

Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I started looking for vintage clothing (for some reason the word "thrifting" never has sat well with me) not all that long ago, and at first I didn't have any luck.

Within the last two days though, I've gotten some great finds:

1) Brooks Brothers blue/white banker's stripe shirt (not an OCBD unfortunately) - $7

2) Brooks Brothers brown/tan plaid tweed sport coat - $38 (consignment shop)

3) Yves Saint Laurent wine/multi plaid tie (I know its probably a lower quality line, but its nice and thick and ties a great knot) - $3

And the coup de grace:

4) Burberry dark gray, zip-out lined trench $29

I couldn't believe it when I saw it and I immediately thought to myself, "Please fit! Please fit!" It is actually a bit big on me, but nothing a trip to the tailor can't fix. Even if it needed $100 in alterations, its worth it. I'm at work right now, but I'll try and snag some picks when I return home for the evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Dan - You lucky dog. Post pics of that Burberry, won't you?

"Please fit Please fit!" is my constant chant whenever I'm in the thrift store. The workers must think I'm absolutely nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Great finds Dan! Post pics when you get them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Here's the link relating to my above post about my latest findings.

Code:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/117740982767055895780/VintagePurchases101211?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLx48vit5yjGw

Comments would be welcome if anyone has them.

Enjoy!