Page 8 of 274 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Okay, cool. I'll run up there this evening. I probably won't be going out again for a couple weeks 'cause things are about to be busy, especially next weekend.

From what I've seen online, the only way to fix moth holes well is a re-weaver, which is a bit much for me to do to save a thrift store suit, even a really nice one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow from the pictures of your guys' thrifting finds, I'm really jealous. My goodwills and thrift stores in my area, don't even compare to what you guys have depicted. The places I go to have like 10 shoes to look at, and half of them are sandals, and the other half are woman's. The blazers and coats had 12 total between all sizes...What a terrible selection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

This Savers is the first one I've visited where the selection of shoes wasn't horrible. At the others it was all stuff I wouldn't have bought new in horrible condition.

It all depends on what's been donated recently. The first time I went to the one near my house I found 8-9 really nice ties. I've only found one there since. I think you just have to be patient and go back. It also helps if you live in an area where there's plenty of office workers who are expected to dress nicer and some well-paid executives who splurge on the good stuff then donate it when they weed out their closets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. It really is just luck. Some days I will go to all 3 of my local thrift stores and leave with literally nothing. Although, sometimes I wonder if location really does matter. The town I live in is a farming community but just 20mins outside is Monterey and Carmel. I think some of the old money trickles into the thrift stores.

It sounds terrible, but a lot of the good finds are the result of a lost loved one. The families generally have little use for clothing and old knick-knacks and thus, they make their way to donation centers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Glen I went to Savers and got the Faconnable XS shirt and the Barneys shoes. I have bad news about the Giorgio Brutini... They were in the wrong section and were actually 8.5's. The GOOD, very good news is that I found something else for you...

Fratelli Rosetti pebble grain lace ups. I wasn't familiar with the maker, but a quick search on eBay shows them to be very sought after.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139457...20264561337538

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jason - You rule. That is all.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

$5 grab bag this weekend, its soooo on, like a kid in a candy store...Im going to be posting as well so if anyone is online around that time let me know if there is something of interest to you.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Max - what's a $5 grab bag? Is that literally a garbage bag full of clothes? I know some thrift stores sell clothes by weight to people that need them for various uses like heavy bag filler or rags...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

@ Glen, yep, basically i pay 5 bucks and get a bag, and i can fill it up with whatever it is that i find as long as the bag isnt overflowing. I think with proper folding and knowing what to put in it with proper layering, i can come out with an awesome haul so long as there are actually clothes worth getting...its a risk as well considering i am giving up money before i actually see whats in the store, but that will be alleviated by my profiling the store the day before and possibly hiding (i know shame on me) what i want.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unfortunately we wear the same size shoes

But if you find any nice shirts or coats that are a size too big for you think of me