Page 2 of 269 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

At a consignment shop on South st. in Philly this past weekend I picked up an Ike Behar handmade in the U.S. silk tie for $12. It's a navy gingham, can't go wrong with that for the summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

just picked up a couple of ties - light blue and light brown - in a nice, light wool for the fall. each cost $2, which can't be beat, in my opinion.

should we count ebaying as thrifting? i've been doing a lot more of that these days. picked up a pair of minnetonka hard sole moccassins for about $25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I got into thrifting and got some great stuff for a month, but I haven't been back for a bit. Not too many shops around me and they don't cycle very fast.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about a few of these brands. I'm fairly new to paying attention to clothes, and don't know a lot about brands.

Here is what I have bought:

1 suit jacket - Christian Dior - pretty sure it is a lightweight wool, but it doesn't say. Very light gray.

1 wool Topman sport coat (medium gray with a small amount of red threading) Don't know anything about this brand. To my amateur eye, this looks like the highest quality of the coats I bought.

1 dark gray pinstripe sport coat. Heavyweight wool. Austin Reed of Regent Street

1 pair of lightly worn cognac oxfords which say they are from Jos A. Bank. I don't really understand these since I didn't know they had a house brand shoe. They seem like high quality though.

Black 100% cashmere overcoat. Tag says Varsity Town Clothes.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

@Big_Scooter, great finds man! The first three are top notch, like you i wasnt aware JAB made shoes, but if quality looks good, then go with it, and if it says 100% cashmere, i wouldnt care what brand it is...how much was your total haul?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks! I've been very pleased, even if I can't use most of it during the summer.

the suit jackets/sport coats were (in the order I listed) $3.50, $7, and $7.

The shoes were listed at $20, but the Goodwill I got them at does half price on shoes on Fridays, so I paid $10.

The overcoat was $25. It was from a locally owned/operated thrift store, so they actually pay some attention to what they have.

So, all said and done, I paid $52.50. Of course, the jackets will eventually need some small alterations (waist and/or sleeve length) which will be another $60.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    75 Post(s)

awesome! I never mind spending a couple extra bucks at local thrifts, since they do look at every piece they shelve.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Recently picked up a nice off-white sport coat. It's not high quality but fit's me very well and still looks great (plus it was $3). It's to become my summer jacket. Then I also picked up a cool painting (print) already on a frame for my new apartment ($5).

However for my best hauls, I've found plenty of Ralph Lauren ties and shirts, Stafford jackets and ties (including a really nice tweed jacket), and finally a pair of Paul Stuart driving loafers in good condition. I'll have to get pictures of those bad boys some time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Figured I'd give this thread a bump. Thrifting is fun!

Got two things today:

1) forest green/navy/tan windowpane plaid blazer by Juilliard. Quality seems decent, but I mainly bought it because I like the pattern and it is sorta aligned with modern tastes, with a fairly narrow notch lapel, minimal shoulder pads, close fit, and it isn't too long (i'm 5 ft 7). $7

2) Cambridge Plaid work shirt from Gant. Autumney mix of red, orange, navy, and many others. I didn't even notice the tag when I picked it up, but the quality was obvious from the get-go. I would never pay $150 retail for a shirt, but there is a very real difference in quality between this and normal department store stuff. The cotton is thick and soft, and though there is no price tag on it, I could almost swear it is brand-new and unwashed. $3

Amusement: I saw a shirt which was a strange hybrid work shirt type thing. The front was light blue denim, about half-way to the back it turned into cream colored thick cotton. Also, it had a large,tan, corduroy collar. Almost bought it just for the heck of it. Perhaps to burn it like the abomination it is.

Anyone else getting some decent hauls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What types of places do y'all thrift at? It seems like here it's either Goodwill on one end or the pricey hipster "vintage clothing" store on the other.

I've been patient before and found some decent things. But never a blazer and never a real quality garment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those're basically the two kinds of places I go to. I find pretty decent stuff sometimes...most days nothing. I'd like to find something in between the hipster consignment shop and Goodwill/Salvation Army.