Page 271 of 272 FirstFirst ... 171221261269270271272 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 2712

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    You're right, buying something super cheap from J Crew is not thrifting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I picked these up from GW without trying them on. No size tags, but looked small enough. Super-duper slim, though, so off to EBay, I guess:

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

JPress navy wool duffle coat, found on Ebay for $75, effectively 90% off if you're considering the price of the current model.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I assume these Dries Van Noten shoes, size 7, are women's. Pretty immaculate condition except the insoles are detached. They are headed to ebay as soon as I truly find out what, exactly they are. $9

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Strategy for thrift shopping

I am traveling and find myself with some free time on my hands today and noticed there is a local Goodwill store.

With no other plan I thought it might be fun to take a look and see if I can find a "gem" or two. I will be honest and say the thought fills me with a little apprehension as I don't recall ever shopping in a second hand store (other then antique shops my wife wanted to visit).

Is it like shopping in a department store?

I apologize in advance if the questions seems haughty. That is not my intention at all.

Thanks for the insight.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    It's not like shopping in a department store, and as far as how nice/organized/etc. the Goodwill is, it really matters where it's located. Try it on for size, see if it's for you. If it's not, at least you know; if it is (and especially since you're in New York), welcome to your new obsession.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Shopping in a thrift store is different than a department store in that you should be able to walk into a department store and find whatever it is youíre looking for in the size/color that works for you: shirts, jackets, shoes, etc.

Thrift shopping is more like shopping in an antique shop. You go in not expecting to find anything specific; rather you go into to see if thereís anything there that you like and that fits you. Sometimes youíll find three really cool items that work for you; most of the time you wonít find anything. Itís the appeal of finding hidden ďgemsĒ that appeals to most thrift shoppers, including myself.

I am a middle-aged, smaller-than-average guy with a decent income who lives in a cold part of the country. So when I go thrift shopping I there are things that I usually look at and other things I donít even bother to look at.

I always look through:

1. Outerwear: This is always the first section I look through. Iíve bought at least a dozen jackets over the years. Currently, I have a Mac raincoat, three leather jackets, two peacoats, two other heavy cool topcoats, plus a few other light jackets that were all purchased at thrift shops. The great thing about a thrifted jacket is that the price is often 1/5 to 1/10 of the original price i.e. a $300 topcoat for $30.

2. Suits/blazers: Iíve had less success here, but Iíve still managed to pick up a couple of nice blazers over the years. I donít wear suits that often, so itís not worth getting something if itís going to need a lot of alterations.

3. Button-up shirts: There are always a ton of button-up shirts in most thrifts stores. I donít wear suits to work, so I tend to look at casual button-ups. Iíve gotten a number of patterned and oxford shirts over the years. It helps that I know how to sew, so Iíve purchased shirts that were really large and sewn in the sides to give them a more tailored fit. Just make sure that the shoulders fit and that the sleeves arenít too long.

4. Sweaters: For those of us that live in cold climates, you can never have too many sweaters, so Iíve picked up a few nice ones over the years. Fortunately, the fit of a sweater isnít as finicky as it is with a suit jacket or even a button-up shirt.

5. Briefcases/Bags: I usually look through the briefcases and bags just to see if anything interesting catches my eyes. Iím currently using a canvas/leather briefcase by Eddie Bauer that I bought for $6.

I never look through:

1. The T-shirt section: I tend to wear cheap t-shirts, so the cost difference between a thrifted t-shirt and a new one makes it not worth my time.

2. Shoes: My feet are small, so itís rare for me to find anything that is in my size (7.5.) Also, wearing shoes that belonged to someone else bothers me, so I donít even bother to look.

Successful thrifting is best if you look at it as a hobby. Figure out what sort of clothes you like to wear, stop by the store(s) often and keep an eye out for interesting stuff.
    Last edited by TMann; February 2nd, 2019 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Nearly new Banana Republic sport coat in 100% linen mini houndstooth I got from poshmark for a great deal. Spent a few hours this rainy afternoon removing the lining (acetate/rayon, so it wasn't the worst thing, but I'd much prefer just a butterfly) and binding the raw edges with iron-on binding tape..

Before

After

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Nearly new Banana Republic sport coat in 100% linen mini houndstooth I got from poshmark for a great deal. Spent a few hours this rainy afternoon removing the lining (acetate/rayon, so it wasn't the worst thing, but I'd much prefer just a butterfly) and binding the raw edges with iron-on binding tape..

Before

After
    Stunning work!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Iron on binding tape. Wow. Great idea. Does it hold up pretty well? I don't mind sewing, but the idea of sewing something onto the raw cloth edges always seemed too intimidating. But iron on binding would be a lot quicker
    Last edited by TMann; February 17th, 2019 at 11:43 AM.