YEAH TJ MAXX!

From today:

and a $40 pickup from Nov 30:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    It's not all about the clothes ...

Today I found a custom Lee Industries love seat (they make for Crate and Barrel, Room and Board, etc.) with duck down cushions. It's this, but not in leather and with custom fabric: https://www.megbrown.com/lee-industr...formation.aspx. Crate and Barrel sells a pretty similar design for $2k, so add some more for custom fabric and down filling, and it's reasonable to think that I paid 5 percent of retail for a couch that looks and feels brand new.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Picked up this Claiborne peacoat yesterday for $8. It's currently at the cleaners. Excited.

And a Proper Cloth semi-spread white/blue check dress shirt for $6. Never worn. So nice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    197 Post(s)
    Not sure if this counts as "thrifting" (I'm sure it doesn't), but my nearest J. Crew was closing down and they blew everything out (including sale items) for an additional 70% off. Not sure why they didn't just ship the inventory to another store....

I really wanted these Epaulet Jungle Pants.
    https://www.epauletbrand.com/collect...15378413879398

But found the Wallance & Barnes version at the sale. Originally $110 CAD, then discounted to about $60, with an additional 70%. I think they came out to around $18 Canadian ($13.55 USD at current exchange rates).
    https://www.jcrew.com/ca/p/mens_cate...amp-pant/J8138

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    ^^^15% of retail definitely qualifies for being thrifty! Great buy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    611 Post(s)
    i'm going to go ahead an suggest that on an entire sight seemingly focused on %% off sales from retail stores online, that merely getting something from a %% off sale is probably not thrifting.

i'm very happy you got something you like! and cheap. awesome.

buying something from a thrift store is thrifting ;-) ebay is nearly thrifting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    i'm going to go ahead an suggest that on an entire sight seemingly focused on %% off sales from retail stores online, that merely getting something from a %% off sale is probably not thrifting.

i'm very happy you got something you like! and cheap. awesome.

buying something from a thrift store is thrifting ;-) ebay is nearly thrifting.

Apologies, I'm going off the SF definition for their thread, which encompasses Thrift/Consignment/Discount Store. I do think hunting through a retailer's HUGE sale counts because the same thrifting attributes apply: being in the right place at the right time, putting in the time to find a good deal, etc.

Pretty much all of thrifting boils down to education (knowing what to buy and at what price), attention to detail (the ability to spot hidden damage/know when a garment is close to death and not worth picking up) and timing or the ability to put in the hours.

I'm anxiously awaiting a Boglioli K Jacket I bought from Saks Off Fifth online for $179. That's thrifting in my book.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonATL View Post
    Apologies, I'm going off the SF definition for their thread, which encompasses Thrift/Consignment/Discount Store. I do think hunting through a retailer's HUGE sale counts because the same thrifting attributes apply: being in the right place at the right time, putting in the time to find a good deal, etc.

Pretty much all of thrifting boils down to education (knowing what to buy and at what price), attention to detail (the ability to spot hidden damage/know when a garment is close to death and not worth picking up) and timing or the ability to put in the hours.

I'm anxiously awaiting a Boglioli K Jacket I bought from Saks Off Fifth online for $179. That's thrifting in my book.
    I always thought thrifting as being different from being thrifty. Thrifting, to me, is buying second hand (even if it's new with tags), but I do consider pickups at TJ Maxx and the like as thrifting since they are reselling new clothing much the same as many of the bigger eBay shops and whatnot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    I always thought thrifting as being different from being thrifty. Thrifting, to me, is buying second hand (even if it's new with tags), but I do consider pickups at TJ Maxx and the like as thrifting since they are reselling new clothing much the same as many of the bigger eBay shops and whatnot.
    I agree that there's a distinction between "thrifting" and "being thrifty." Looking at the post that started this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMan View Post
    Hey, Out of my own curiosity, how many of you guys thrift? I'd like to guage the market of savvy well dressed thrifters to see who I'm up against in the thrift market lol...
    ...this sounds to me like he was referring to thrift and consignment stores, and that's how I've always thought of it. I think Nandyn's description is pretty spot on. However, I'm going to take the unpopular position of saying that I'm not sure I agree that TJ Maxx and the like count.

My worry (a stronger word than probably is warranted) is that once you open up the term "thrifting" to mean a large percentage off retail or typical pricing, it opens this thread up to practically anything one would consider a good deal. Which doesn't seem like the original intent of the thread.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_g20t View Post
    I agree that there's a distinction between "thrifting" and "being thrifty." Looking at the post that started this thread...

...this sounds to me like he was referring to thrift and consignment stores, and that's how I've always thought of it. I think Nandyn's description is pretty spot on. However, I'm going to take the unpopular position of saying that I'm not sure I agree that TJ Maxx and the like count.

My worry (a stronger word than probably is warranted) is that once you open up the term "thrifting" to mean a large percentage off retail or typical pricing, it opens this thread up to practically anything one would consider a good deal. Which doesn't seem like the original intent of the thread.
    I only added TJ Maxx and the like since many ebay sellers/stores do the same, buy overstock, unsold merchandise, or orders that were later cancelled or never brought to store, and resell at a much reduced price, but without a physical store like Goodwill or something. But yeah, adding retail stores like TJ Maxx brands does muddy the water a bit.