Page 20 of 274 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I saw a super heavy duty blue Sero OCBD today that fit really well but left it because it was a little faded and there was the slightest fray in the collar. Afterwards I looked it up and found out Sero was manufactured in my hometown (New Haven, CT) and was Gant's main competitor. My mom told me that we're related to the founders of both (or something) and she and her best friend used to just go through the factories and pick out whatever they wanted. Unfortunately, that was before they sold the business years ago...

I'm gonna have to go back to that Salvo ASAP and get see if it's still there, if only for cool sentimental reasons.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

Found 4 knit ties... picked up the two I liked best:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060135.jpg

I also got a black and white plaid flannel shirt from J.Crew.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I had some spare time and I went back to the same place I saw the old Aquascutum overcoat... Scored a good condition Aquascutum trench coat which is unfortunately a 44L (and available for sale / trade):

The only bit of wear is at the end of the belt:

I also picked up a Gieves and Hawkes tweed sport coat... Unfortunately a 39 R and too small for me, so also available. It's a little rumpled, but in good condition:

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Jason, that tweed sports coat doesn't look half bad! Nice find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice finds, guys.

@Jason - other than the fact that it's too small, any idea on how the sport coat fits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Glen, well the sleeves were really short on me, but I'm not sure if it's just the sleeves or if the shoulders were riding up because it's too small there too. I'll measure it up tonight across the shoulders, sleeves, etc.

Has anyone else noticed thrifts marking up some brands? I saw 3 Hickey Freeman suits there last night, 2 of them $30, one $20. Much higher than the other suits. Fortunately they don't know Aquascutum or Gieves & Hawkes.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

@ JC - The Salvation Army near me has done that. They actually have a separate section of "designer" brands, which is mostly women's stuff, but there is inexplicably some men's stuff there too.

The inexplicable part is how they decide what qualifies as "designer." I saw a Burberry sport coat in the designer section for $30 while another, nearly identical Burberry jacket was hanging in the men's regular sport coat section for $7. I haven't even recognized some of the brands hanging in the "designer" section, while stuff like Ralph Lauren, Harris Tweed, London Fog, etc. has gone through the regular section, so I'm not sure how they decide which goes where.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, the Goodwill's near me have opened a separate boutique store with JUST "designer" stuff in them... Of course, they don't necessarily know what's good, but I did see an amazing Burberry DB blazer there. But at $50 when I know what I can find at regular thrifts I left it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a chuckle when I saw a Calvin Klein suit for $80 at a local value village. I mean, you can get some ck suits brand new for roughly the same at winners brand new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It depends on who works at the thrift stores. In my area, the only things I've seen marked up are Hugo Boss, CK, Lacoste, Coach, etc. I'm thankful that nobody here knows about the "heritage" (there goes that word again) brands.