Page 174 of 274 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2731

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    GREAT info, thank you. Looked at the Saks Fifth Avenue website for the first time and those prices are out my ballpark, city and state.
    Search "Savile Row" on youtube and you'll get 24,000+ videos/documentaries. Many are quite interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Goodwill (at least in the upper midwest) is having a 25% off total sale if you donate anything, so I dropped off a shirt, got my coupon, and picked up a new J.Crew secret wash shirt in purple gingham, some light grey Kenneth Cole slacks, and an Express soft cotton polo. Because it was the 15th, I also got a scratch of with another 10% off. Today's total: $13!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Goodwill: Gooddeal! Smart shopping, once again, Mr. Styles.

I hit a Salvation Army yesterday, out of town on a little vaca, and snagged some J&M Durst saddle shoes, for $5.

http://m.johnstonmurphy.com/mt/www.j...aspx?pid=35552

I have never owned or worn saddle shoes, so I thought it's be a nice cheap way to try some.

Also snagged a brand-new (plastic collar supports and stick pins still in it) white Woodward OCBD (made in the USA) for $2, and a brand new (tags on: $40 MSRP) Tommy Hilfiger American flag cotton knit tie (also made in the US) for $2.

Not sure if/when I'd ever wear the tie, except for July 4th, but I just couldn't pass it up.

It was "family day" or something, so all the items were 1/2 off. Cool!
    Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 15th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    First time poster here...

I've been hitting thrift stores very regularly for the last few months. Interest in the hobby started when I found a Zegna sport shirt at Savers for $6 that fits me like a glove.

I'm not an easy fit, so after about a month of not finding anything in my size, I began to buy items to sell to friends at cost or to try and flip on eBay. I've sold a few pairs of Allen Edmonds and a few Gitman Brothers shirts; nothing too extraordinary.

Dropped into a thrift shop near my office on my lunch break today...glad I did.

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/...ps37667a8c.jpg

MINT vintage Florsheim Imperial gunboat wingtips...paid $15. I think these have maybe been worn a few times. V cleat with the nailed down heel - probably from the late 70s early 80s I think? Of course they aren't in my size, but I think I should be able to make a nice profit on them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    @yoyo: I thrifted a pair of brown on brown saddle shoes (though w/ a greater contrast b/t browns than your pair) last year and soon learned that they work best with jeans. They just somehow feel off with both chinos and wool slacks. And, even with jeans, they're dandy-ish/distinctive enough that I only wear them when I'm keeping everything else very plain and simple. Then I feel they work well in the way PTO describes a "point of difference": http://putthison.com/post/9839184913...omes-to-casual (though I don't think I've ever worn them w/ a t-shirt or even polo, mostly OCBDs probably, maybe OCBD + plain sweater or blazer).

So, with all those restrictions on their use, I don't get much wear out of them, but I think that makes them the perfect thrifted shoe: I wouldn't have bought them otherwise and I don't feel bad that I don't wear them much. Would be curious to hear how you end up wearing yours.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Idle, thanks for the inside personal scoop. Good input. I was imagining wearing them with both jeans *and* chinos, but based on your feedback it *will* be interesting to see how they work out.

Funny, I almost never see them in the wild, but last night at a restaurant/bar joint here in a little vaca, the DJ/kids-game-master was wearing what appeared to be the exact same pair as the J&Ms I just thrifted - or something very similar. He was wearing a LS button-down patterned (plaid-ish/checked) dress shirt and chinos. They looked pretty good in that mix on him. However the chinos were quite baggy, a tad too long, and pleated. So there's that, I guess.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah, the no chinos thing is probably more personal preference than rule.

It occurs to me the color of mine might be what makes it hard to wear them w/ chinos. These are mine, the cognac/brown: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...stsellersee-20 I have 6 or 7 pairs of chinos in various shades of khaki, brown, grey, and navy, but I can't think of one of them that really works.

The dark brown/dark brown nature of yours seem like they might make chinos easier to pull off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Found the following over my past two thrift trips: $7 AE Madison Avenue, $7 AE Maxfield Loafers, $6 Loake Single Monkstraps, $8 Abercrombie and Fitch Safari Jacket, a nice $4 wool sweater in mint condition made in Scotland (gotta love the northern isles for 'em!) aaaand my new baby for $6 in the women's section!!!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1573d753.jpg
    http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps185bcf72.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    ^ Fantastic finds, KamoteJoe!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cotoks View Post

MINT vintage Florsheim Imperial gunboat wingtips...paid $15. I think these have maybe been worn a few times. V cleat with the nailed down heel - probably from the late 70s early 80s I think? Of course they aren't in my size, but I think I should be able to make a nice profit on them.
    I think everyone should have a pair of those shoes. The V-cleat makes the simple act of walking a dangerous game of chance.