Page 14 of 274 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Just picked up 3 shirts and two blazers/sportscoats.

Shirts (all 100% cotton)

1) Spread collar Zara dress shirt. White with gold/yellow stripes.

2) Modern fit Express dress shirt. The pattern on this shirt was killer. pin-dots inside of larger diamonds or something like that. Different shades of red. And the fit is great.

3) Marks & Spencer spread collar dress shirt. I guess you'd call it gingham? Small and intricate cross-pattern in different shades of green over white. Fit great in the collar and sleeves. Will need tailoring in the sides though. Couldn't resist the pattern!

Blazers

1) Burgundy camel hair sportscoat. Made in the USA! At the tailor now. Took a risk on this guy. Not sure if I can pull off the color. When I tried it on in the store, I wasn't that fond of the structured shoulders. I was gonna ask the tailor if she could take them out, but for some reason they didn't look as pronounced in her shop. After purchase, alterations, and dry cleaning it should only be $30 to try something outside of my comfort zone.

2) 3-button wool brown hounds-tooth sportscoat. Made in Canada. A little to big for me so I'll probably give it to my brother. Plus it was originally from the local toggery here, so a small but important detail.

No shoes though which is what I need the most help in.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)

Jose - Pics or it didn't happen. ;-)

I've had rotten luck with shoes, as well. I turned to eBay to get my secondhand AEs for a pretty reasonable price (though not as good as thrift).

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yeah I'll get pics if I can. I'll wait until the blazer is back from the tailor. Problem is I don't have a camera and my smartphone is about 3 years old. I should be able to figure something out though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jose - Camel hair is pretty nice, huh? I had no idea until I went thrifting. Good find.

Keep hitting up those thrifts, guys. The shoes will turn up.

If you guys want to exchange stuff I can keep a look out for you. I just need sizes and specifics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Picked up some Johnston and Murphy wingtips for $5 at Goodwill. Sent them right to the cobbler so no before pic, just after. http://imgur.com/a/RsYAb

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)

Those wingtips look amazing! Even better than my new J&Ms. The color is especially nice.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Wow, nice job by the cobbler. How much did that cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

$60 for the re-sole, new heel, polish and conditioning.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2051 Post(s)

I finally came across a pair of AEs at a thrift shop today. They were black tassel wingtip loafers (sort of a strange combo IMO) in fairly decent shape. They were in 10D and I wear 8 but naturally I had to try them on anyway... no deal, but it at least gives me hope that I might find a good shoe in my size someday.

If anyone wants them I can run back to the store and pick them up (if they're still there), they were $8.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Urgh... If they weren't black I'd say yes. I do need to get some black shoes at some point, but if I'm wearing black shoes it'll be because it's a funeral or something formal, so loafers wouldn't cut it anyway. 10D is a good size for me if you find any other AE's though