Page 13 of 274 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jason - Thanks. I agree the jacket is too small. Just wanted to wear it for reference if anybody wanted to trade for it. Still up in the air about the AE's. They were ok walking around the house. As for the Brooks Brothers jacket, do the shoulders look too big? I have narrow shoulders that slope a bit oddly.

@BenR - nice tweed jacket. It is rare. Haven't seen one of that color/material/constrution combination.

@Tat - I haven't been to Marshalls/Ross/TJMaxx in a while since thrifting but I forget that there are some good finds in those stores as well. I may drop by mine since you mentioned the Tommy ties were on discount.

@Max - how did your grab bag go? Let me know if you're interested in any of the jackets I found.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Glen yeah, the shoulders look a little bit big on the BB. Your tailor should be able to bring it in along the back center seam. It could use some waist suppression too, but it's a cool coat.

If you're not sure about the AE's you can definitely sell them. They're great shoes in good condition. I personally don't have much use for black shoes, but some people wear them all the time.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

@Glen: EPIC fail: Went early to be one of the first to arrive, i was greeted by a line of people, although overwieght women mostly (lol), went in hoping for some great finds, and was ultimately unimpressed with the merch. I wasted a good two hours of sleep. However, i went to another thrift store, where i typically find something 7/10 times, and found one of the peices that have been eluding me for like a year. A size 38, London Fog trench coat in MINT condition...At the dry cleaners being cleaned and will def be posting in WIWT at some point in the next week or two...

And yes: sup with the AE's deets please?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jason - I thought so. I'll see what my tailor can do. It's gonna have to wait a bit, though. BB seems to run big.

@Max - Sorry about your bad experience. At least you found something that day. Do post pics.

In terms of the AE's, I have pics up on the previous page. Would love to trade them away but they are a size 9D. While I'm a 9.5D, they fit fine. I think this is due to the #5 last that it uses. It runs long and narrow and I think the shoe got stretched. My biggest concern is if I get them recrafted, they won't fit anymore because they'll use the original last and it will be back to a TRUE 9D, which I am not. I hardly wear black shoes, but at the same time, I don't own any decent pairs. I have a pair of vintage Florsheim wingtips in 11A and they fit perfect... in width. Le sigh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

BB does run big. I stopped by one of their stores to try on sportcoats and a 40R fit me perfectly, whereas I'm a true 41R and 42R fits in some coats.

I don't see any reason you'd get the AE's recrafted any time soon. They look to be in good shape, although the creases on the top are a bit deep. Get some leather conditioner on there and some shoe trees in them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind when looking for BB for other people.

Way ahead of you on those shoes They're sitting pretty with shoes trees in them soaking up some conditioner. I've decided to keep them. If they were able to stretch to fit me, they can be stretched again after recrafting.

That being said, know anybody that's interested in vintage black wingtips in size 11A?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)

Got my Burberry trench in the mail yesterday!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060088.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060089.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060091.jpg

I am pleased by the facts that 1) it arrived, 2) on time, 3) it wasn't a box of used diapers, 4) it appears to be the same coat in the seller's photos, 5) it's in great condition, and 6) there is no obvious indicator of inauthenticity (except, perhaps for the surprisingly good condition). I've given it a serious look-over and even if it's a fake, the quality is so good that I don't care.

(You can tell I have a really high opinion of eBay.)

It will definitely need some tailoring, mostly shortening the length, which hits mid-calf at the moment. I think it should be doable to bring it to knee-length, or better, just above the knee - basically as short as it will go without ruining the proportions of the coat. The fit is ok when I cinch the waist down with the belt but I might see if it's possible to bring the sides in a little, as well. All the tailoring issues will be complicated by the button-in liner, so I expect they will run me a pretty penny....

I also sent my ivory Von Furstenberg jacket to the dry cleaners yesterday and should get it back tomorrow. Hopefully it won't mysteriously disintegrate. I'm extremely paranoid about dry cleaners in general but I feel like a thrift jacket probably needs more than just a steam and press to be clean.

Ben

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

hot damn that trench is FLYYYYYYYYY! I am not much of a logo head, so the look and quality alone would have sold me...great find...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@ BenR what size is the Burberrys Coat compaired to your jacket size. Does it fit over a suit ? Did you get 1 size bigger because of that purpose?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)

I normally wear a 36R and that's the size I got in the trench coat. The coat fits pretty well in the shoulders. It's roomy enough to accommodate a suit jacket, but it does feel uncomfortably snug when worn with a jacket AND the removable wool liner together.

My main concern in getting the sides taken in is the shape of the coat through the torso, which is pretty much a long rectangle. The shoulders fit fine but I'd like a little more tapering in the waist and a little less volume in the skirt of the coat.

Ben