Page 12 of 274 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

So far the only place I've found in my area with anything decent is a Buffalo Exchange, but they know what they have. Found some great wool Prada pants, but then saw the $60 price tag... Ugh. I'm guessing you guys that are having a lot of luck thrifting are in urban areas? Do you tend to thrift at stores in or on the fringe of wealthier areas?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@jason a thin grey wool Ralph Lauren jacket (I forget which line), which if anything was just slightly restricting in the back and a khaki Adams Row (never heard of it) jacket that fit really well, but I already have one and didn't see an immediate need to buy it. However, in retrospect it probably fit better than the one I own. Oh well. Noted for the future.

I also saw a Marks + Spencer french cuff at my Savers. I know them from their outfitting of England's men's soccer team at the World Cup. I left it on the rack though; if was a button cuff I probably would have pulled the trigger.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)

This isn't thrifting, per se, but I thought I would share my most recent purchase with you guys. After Dan posted about his Burberry coat, I went on eBay and searched "Burberrys" on a whim. To my delight there was a trench coat in my size with 0 bids and a $58 starting price. I searched the same way for "Burberry" without the "S" and realized that people searching for "Burberry" wouldn't find this particular trench - the seller never actually used the word "Burberry" anywhere in the listing or the description, only "Burberrys."

I spent far too much time googling stuff about how to tell counterfeits from authentic coats and after all my research I'm 87% sure that the coat is authentic (my 13% uncertainly tells me that even if the coat is a fake, if it's as nice as it is in the pictures, it won't break my heart). Plus the seller has been on eBay for ten years and seems relatively reliable (I guess we'll find out).

Anyway, I was one of only two bidders (after an attempted snipe) and won the coat for $67. I should be getting it in the mail in the next couple days and I'm pretty excited. I'll take some pics for you guys! The coat is the traditional khaki color and includes the removable wool liner, belt, and wool collar cover. Since I spent the money in lieu of getting the wool duffle coat I'd been eyeballing at Old Navy, I'm hoping the trench + liner will be warm enough to wear through most of winter (with the correct layering, of course).

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Speaking of trench coats, I did a quick Wikipedia search a few days back and saw there was some dispute over whether Burberry or Aquascutum created it. Needless to say, I saw an Aquascutum trench yesterday for about $20. It looks like they fetch some good money on eBay..but unfortunately this particular one was missing a button and had some rips and tears throughout.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)

Hmm, yeah, buttons are easily replaced but rips and tears will either take patching/stitching or reweaving - the former would look terrible, and the latter could easily cost hundreds of dollars.

I've been in a trench coat mood since a near-miss at my Salvation Army. I found a military-issue, navy blue trench coat with a nice, high-pile/plush lining, marked as a size 38. I'm a 36 so I thought the coat could work but when I tried it on it absolutely swamped me. Trenches fit pretty loose so it made sense, but it was still pretty disappointing, as it was in excellent condition and I liked the navy color. I expect I'm going to have to spring for some tailoring on my size 36 if and when it arrives, but making a 36 fit will be less work than a 38.

P.S. Are there any other size 36s here? Have you discovered, as I have, that when a jacket, coat, shirt, etc. fits the hangar perfectly (i.e. the shoulders pretty much stop at the edge of the hangar) that it will fit your shoulders as well? It's an immensely convenient way of judging size without having to dig through for size labels (which often aren't present anyway).

How do you guys with bigger sizes deal with this? Do you just eyeball it, do you look for a size tag on every single jacket, or do you just try on everything that looks good?

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@Jason - the link is working on my end. Try again maybe?

@BenR - I'm between a 38S and 40S and I have to check for tags AND try it on. There's such a discrepency in sizing when you're sifting through clothes that are potentially 30+ years old. Plus, even though something might technically be my chest size, the shoulders might have huge pads.

So, basically yes, I try on everything that looks good. I end up sneezing a ton and smelling like old wool by the end of my thrifting adventure.

Edit: I am an idiot. Marked the album as "private". It's should work now. https://picasaweb.google.com/1107748...eat=directlink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@BenR

I actually go through the racks first looking at brands, which occasionally reveals something nice that I may have not otherwise tried on. Then I eyeball the size and try it on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Glen The John Hardy SC looks amazing but it's a bit small on you. Love the Brooks Brothers glen plaid too. Very nice haul.

If you decide not to keep the AE's you could probably sell them on ebay for enough to fund your thrifting for weeks

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2073 Post(s)

So I've been laboring under the delusion that my town only had two thrift stores (plus a bunch of women-centric consignment shops) but today I discovered that there is a Savers on the other side of town (I was looking for one nearby after seeing the vast rack of jackets in Glen's pics). I was not disappointed - this Savers had easily twice as many jackets as the shop where I've had the best luck finding them.

I picked up a navy pindot tie (I think that's the term for a pattern of tiny dots?) and this rather unusual find:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/theantiduck/P1060078.jpg

It's from the Prince Egon collection of Von Furstenberg (of Diane von Furstenberg fame). It's an ivory tweed in a rare size 37R. Judging by the unconventional color, the aggressive waist suppression, and the rather sharp shoulders, I'm guessing this jacket was probably pretty high fashion for its day. A good find that fits well with the caveats of the overly-structured shoulders, the flaring skirt, and a body length that verges on too long. Maybe I'll see if a tailor can address those, but I'm still happy with it as is.

I also picked up a Haggar tweed in a 38S that I was planning on getting tailored to fit but after inspecting it more closely at home I've spotted a bit of moth damage. It's going back to the store tomorrow.

I still haven't spotted anything remotely decent as far as shoes go, in my size or otherwise.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@BenR those are both beautiful finds. I really like that jacket material and color w/ patch pockets.

I've recently been finding alot of my ties at TJMaxx and Marshalls. I found a couple silk izod slim ties marked down to 3$. I've inspected closely, no damage. I've also picked up about 5 Tommy Hilfiger Vintage Wool Ties for 8$ each. Regular priced at macys for 50 or 60$. Also found some merino wool v-neck sweaters down under 20$. I've had good luck at marshalls lately when other stores have not been too promising.