Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That interior is really fly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^ great tie!

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's something to make you feel even better about your Burberrys find:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burberry-Burberrys-Prorsum-Black-trench-coat-Authentic-/190572678802?pt=US_CSA_WC_Outerwear&hash=item2c5f0 44e92#ht_746wt_1344

I'm gonna guess that it's at least pre-1999 because Burberry dropped the "s" around that time.

This is why I always check the Jackets section in a thrift store. There's a ton of trench coats in every thrift store I go to and nobody buys them because it barely rains over here. Track jackets and basketball shoes are snatched up in a day. Sad story, but more for me!

Great fall tie, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Dan, Nice stuff. Which Brooks Brothers line is it?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

@ Dan.Lish - Can I ask you what size your thrifted Burberry trench coat is, and how it relates to your normal jacket size? I've heard that the older Burberry trenches fit very large and that folks generally have to size down one or two sizes. I'm eyeballing an older Burberry trench on eBay that's in my normal jacket size but I'd rather not waste my money if it's going to fit huge.

In other thrifting news, I had a semi-frustrating day of near perfect stuff. A Harris tweed jacket that fit in the shoulders but was huge everywhere else. I guess I could've paid for tailoring but the jacket was in only so-so condition and it didn't seem worth it. Then I found a Ralph Lauren navy blazer that was perfect, except that it was about 4 inches too short in the body, and a no-brand custom navy blazer that was also perfect, except that it was about 4 inches too LONG in the body. Bizarre. I think the Ralph Lauren might have been a boy's jacket, to be honest.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Reminds me of last week... I found a very nice sportcoat that was perfect in the shoulders and perfect length... but the arms were 4 inches too short. Apparently someone with T-Rex arms wears nice clothes around here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Jason - I can attest to the situation of the larger fitting cut on the older Burberry trenches, but in my mind even if I pay $100 at the tailor on it that it is still completely worth it. I only paid $29 for it in the first place, so a total investment of <$150ish is worth every penny. It is something I am going to own for years and years, it is the color I would have wanted had I bought new, I saved myself hundreds of $$ over buying new, and its by the most iconic trench maker (they are the company that invented the trench).

On the issue of the Brooks Brothers sport coat, I believe it is just from their main line - no 346 or black fleece. I am unsure of the provenance of the fabric, though. I couldn't say whether its Harris Tweed or not, but it is the same as the way I like my women - brown and scratchy. Haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Had a pretty good outing today. Here's an album of my adventure today, highlighting things I left behind in the store. I can pick them up later if anyone wants them. We can set up some sort of trade.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110774800589808843144/ThriftingOct152011DIDNOTBUYSTILLSTORE?authuser=0&a uthkey=Gv1sRgCOevobaVuKjgFA&feat=directlink

Here's another album of things I took home. I'm willing to trade most of them although I'm not sure which ones yet. Let me know if you're interested. I took these home because they fit. The highlight of my day were definitely the black Allen Edmonds Strands. They are a size 9D and I am a 9.5D. They are a tad tight in the toe box but they fit otherwise. Still debating whether or not I should keep them or trade/sell them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1107748...eat=directlink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Learned a valuable lesson this weekend: if you see something you really like for a few bucks - even if you're not sure you need it - buy it so you don't regret coming back the next day to find someone else beat you to it. Or at least hide it really well.

I did end up buying a medium red gingham Brooks Brothers, a 16/33 blue gingham J. Press (that would do well to be taken in a bit on the sides) and a nice Hardy Amies tie. I'll try to grab some pics when I get a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

@Glen That second link doesn't work. I'd love to see the AE's. For some reason nobody in this town seems to wear shoes that nice, or at least they don't donate them. There's some stuff you can get to help stretch the leather, or even a regular leather conditioner like Lexol.

@chern what did you leave behind that you regretted?

I looked at Savers quickly yesterday and didn't see much in shoes or suits / coats. I did pick up a french cuff Marks & Spencer shirt with MOP buttons.