Page 101 of 274 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2731

Thread: Thrifting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jon- I think I saw that very same overcoat; it had a small tear on the back near the neck, right? Lol, that store was frustrating. damaged canali overcoat, orphaned samuelsohn jacket and a corneliani that wouldn't fit paul bunyan.

And yes, I was referring to the buckhead goodwill in my earlier post. I had some moderate success initially, but nothing to brag about (Brooks Brothers ties, GANT dress shirt, Express shirt that fit like a glove, Calvin Klein made in canada suit that fit...nothing major), but it's tapped out now, or something.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Sting:

Yup, one in the same. It was tagged at $45 or something, I showed them the damage, and they gave it to me for $8. It should cost $25-$50 to reweave, which I may or may not do before I sell it on ebay.

Here's the exact same one without the belt (which I have): http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-LONG-Wool-Overcoat-Top-Coat-40R-Italy-50-moesser-size-40-REG-/120856567408?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item1c239 cde70

So I figure it might sell, even with the damage (if I explain it and give a quote to fix it) if I start the bidding at $50.

This is the only kind of similar completed listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANALI-MILAN...item56480fd1e9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

@Don You can get the suit relined too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I asked about how much it would cost to re-line a coat at my tailor... $125 for a sportcoat. Not worth it.

On a not unrelated note, if anyone wants a black double breasted Burberry overcoat with a very nice warm soft wool outer in good condition and ripped up lining for just the price of shipping, let me know. Otherwise it's going to the thrift store. Unsuccessful experiment... Good thing I got an amazing Oxxford navy overcoat that just needed some seams re-done in the lining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@JC haha I'm planning an experiment myself on a sport coat soon. What size is your coat? I've been looking to get into double-breasted whatever on the cheap. I'm not sure how I feel about them still minus on a peacoat, but like the variety if I'm not paying full retail. I picked up a double breasted suit jacket (all black, not hard to match with black slacks) but don't like the way it falls/ how monster lapels will engulf even the fullest of windsors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

It's a size 40R or so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jason, personally I think that Buckhead Thriftique is the nicest thrift store in the metro area. Quite small, but the quality is *typically* better. I've had complete hit-and-miss experience there, but I've had absolutely no luck at any of the St Vincent or Goodwills in the metro area(though I've never tried the Buckhead GW.... Next weekend!)

Jon and sting: I've got a new client that I go up to John's Creek/Alpharetta area to see every weekend, have you guys ever thrifted up there? It's an extremely wealthy community, so I'm hoping to find some gems. Tried two GWs there this weekend to no luck, but hope springs eternal.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    96 Post(s)

Holcomb Bridge Road. That's all you need to know. Well, I've also had good luck at Park Avenue Thrift on Alpharetta Hwy.

The only luck I've had a Buckhead Thriftique is a too-big pair of AE Sheltons. But it is a nicer environment.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

I stopped by my now-regular thrift shop on my lunch break. It's a small operation. They've learned my name, and they recognize that I'm coming in semi-regularly. Very friendly people. They even offered to check inventory in the back for me that they won't put out until tomorrow. I really like this place.

... and they get good stuff. It's where I found the Aquascutum raincoat, Neiman Marcus cashmere blazer, AE Lauderdales, and a fun Nautica sportcoat that isn't worth much, but is unlike anything else I have.

If they would just get a couple more racks of mens' clothes, I'd be in thrift store heaven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One quick stop today.

Stafano Ricci Tie

J. Press Dress Shirt

And after finding so many nice thing to flip lately, I finally found a couple of things I can actually wear:

L.L. Bean Signature Chamois Shirt

J. Crew Lightweight Button Down