Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Sleeves and ties?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since It's summer I wear a lot of short sleeve button ups. What do you think about wearing a tie with these shirts? Too nerdy or does it just not look right? I've been avoiding this but what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

to be honest I think a long sleeve button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up always looks leagues better than the short sleeved version of the same shirt, in all cases

but that could just be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i agree with joolander, but then i try to avoid short sleeved button ups anyways, they always end up looking bad on me =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I agree with you guys you have to rock these out ruggedly and roughly or you can end up looking dweebish. Probably wouldn't reccomend these for the skinnier crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I wear a tie with rolled up sleeves. I keep the top button undone to reduce the formality. Pick shirts and ties which suit the season and to avoid looking like you overdressed and then had to roll your sleeves up.

If your style is on point it should look like this "nerdy" look was what you meant to achieve, and we all know nerdy is in, right?

+1 for no short sleeve shirts, at least until I grow my biceps a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The short sleeve button up is really hard to pull off without a tie, but looks really good if you can. I cannot, unfortunately.

As far as ties go, I think ChrisW is right by saying you'd have to pull it off as an "intentionally nerdy" look, otherwise you'll look like an unintentional dork. However, when you start talking about intentional looks like that, you're getting into the realm of affectation and skirting the line of wearing a costume and not clothes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Open shirt with a v-neck or simple crew will help break that nerdy look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wish we could quote posts, but +1 to Joolander anyway. I've rarely seen nice short-sleeve shirts (ie. where a long-sleeved rolled up wouldn't look better), and tagging on a tie to that looks a lot worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I, for 1, wear short sleeves with a tie but it depends on what I have on. If I'm wearing a vest as a top layer, then I'm wearing shoort sleeves. Also, if I'm wearing a light cardigan (which I tend to do sometimes during the summer), I'm wearing a short sleeves because long sleeves have always proved to be bulky but that's just me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

I am no fan of the short sleeve dress shirt. The name alone is a deterence to me. A tie adds even less appeal. But to each their own.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I