Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Threads Feedback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think we need a link on top so that we can go to the main Dappered site from threads (and back forth).

I did notice the small link at the bottom .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My thoughts as a fashion enthusiast
    <ul>[*]I think we could use a few more forums other than the 4 available now, but I suspect it will grow with use.[/list]

My thoughts as a software engineer
    <ul>[*]Non-threaded discussions are so 2001. Disqus, your comment engine, supports threaded discussions, you should have picked a forum tool that does this as well.[*]No post preview =([*]No rich-text editing - have to write HTML. Markdown, bbcode, or WYSIWYG are better choices[*]Bespoke user accounts. In the world of systems like Facebook Connect and OpenID, making people create yet another username and password is not cool - again - especially when your site's comment engine supports these.[*]Just glancing at the "Hot Tags" section it's clear users aren't seeing that tags are supposed to be comma-separated. Either switch to space-separated tags or provide more user guidance.[/list]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with most comments above re image links and post preview, etc. Not a software guy, but it seems like most of the forums I frequent, and like using, use vBulletin.

The link preview on hover I always appreciate, especially when browsing off topic threads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Disagree with Peter regarding threaded discussions. This is a forum, not a threaded comments system. I like how this system stays true to its roots. I don't think I've seen a true forum system with threaded conversations.

I agree with all of his other points though. I also wish the forum selection area wasn't stuffed at the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <blockquote>

"Disagree with Peter regarding threaded discussions. This is a forum, not a threaded comments system"
    </blockquote>

I respect your position to disagree, but I don't like your reasoning. Where on god's green earth is it written down that a forum has to be non-threaded?

Real-life conversations amongst more than two people are not solely linear. These are not messages communicated via telegraph. This is not IRC. Forked/threaded forums are a better match for how people actually communicate in larger groups in-real-life. Just poke around this forum and you'll already see a plethora of "@" replies - there's two or three in this topic alone - even when the software doesn't allow for it, people attempt to have threaded conversations. If there's one thing I've learned from the writings of Clay Shirky, it's that members of a group will fill gaps in the software with their own systems, if they have to, but it's better if you give it to them in the first place

I've been studying social groups and how they interact with software, and developing that software for over 5 years. I'm not always right, but I'm comfortable with my position here that forums like this one should be threaded discussions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <blockquote>

I respect your position to disagree, but I don't like your reasoning. Where on god's green earth is it written down that a forum has to be non-threaded?
    </blockquote>

I'm with Bryan on this one. Forums should be non-threaded. I read many forums, and not a single one of them is threaded. For me, the most important reason to keep it non-threaded is it makes it much easier to keep up with unread posts. All I have to do is scroll down to the first post I haven't read yet. With a threaded system, I would have to re-read the entire page looking for unread posts. That's not so bad for short-lived comment threads, but it's a pain for forum topics that can live on for months and grow very long. I'd much rather deal with reading quotes and @users.

Along those lines, it'd be really nice to have links to take you to the first unread post. Some forum software will put a color coded icon next to each topic. The color code indicates if there are unread posts and if it's a topic you have posted in. Clicking the icon takes you to the first unread post.

Polls, post-preview, rich-text editing, and draft saving would be nice too. I'm very happy there are no avatars and signatures cluttering up the posts.

If you do want to look at alternate forum software (and I'm sure switching would be difficult), phpBB works really well from a reader perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <blockquote>

With a threaded system, I would have to re-read the entire page looking for unread posts.</blockquote>

Only if the software was implemented without attempting to solve that problem. There are several ways to solve that from a UI perspective that remove that particular burden from the user. You may not have seen it before, but it can be done.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue. As much as I can exercise my professional muscle on this topic, I'm humbly aware that there's a subjective side to darn near everything. Thank you both for your feedback to my post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm also a software engineer (specifically working on the web), so professional muscle aside I agree this may still be subjective.

Anyway, Hackworth also brings up good points about the ability to determine unread posts. That would be extremely helpful.

On the topic of threaded conversations, the ability to put a name in the quotes would help too. I.E. most forum software allows you to do
    Quote Originally Posted by username
    Whatever you want to quote
    . That way people scanning the page can see who said what, in case someone is quoting something from far up the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about a "Critique My Look" or "What I'm Wearing" forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

"What I'm Wearing" would work best as a thread within the clothing forum IMHO, rather than its own forum.