Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Style Scenario: What to wear to a Smart Casual job interview

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)
    I had the same thoughts during his round up of the best athletic fit jeans. IMHO the Jcrew jeans which he gave one of the lowest ranking looked the best. While his favorites were mostly to tight up top and too narrow around the ankles. No disrespect to Jason P. He's putting himself out there which is more than I can say about myself.

Slightly off topic but why do all athletic fit pants have narrower hems than their slim fit counterparts? I think most athletic fits would be a lot better if the top block had a contemporary fit with the the same tapper from the knee down as the slim fit. Everyones athletic fits are just skinny pants for guys with thighs. The extremely narrow hems look odd when you have big thighs.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Understandable but do you present such non-standard cases to people starting in menswear? I feel Dappered is more of the starting arena in addition to places on reddit but when you show ill-fitting clothing, it looks bad for the site. I see mentions of this on other sites and Dappered gets a bad rap on fit even though it seemed Joe and team cared about it at one point. Is it do as I say, not at I do (or show)?

I have another theory that no one looks good in these newer Athletic cut pants. All examples I recall seeing look like downward pointing triangles.

I'm sure Joe would be happy to accept any submissions with photos you have for the main page.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I had the same thoughts during his round up of the best athletic fit jeans. IMHO the Jcrew jeans which he gave one of the lowest ranking looked the best. While his favorites were mostly to tight up top and too narrow around the ankles. No disrespect to Jason P. He's putting himself out there which is more than I can say about myself.

Slightly off topic but why do all athletic fit pants have narrower hems than their slim fit counterparts? I think most athletic fits would be a lot better if the top block had a contemporary fit with the the same tapper from the knee down as the slim fit. Everyones athletic fits are just skinny pants for guys with thighs. The extremely narrow hems look odd when you have big thighs.
    I remember looking at that one and could only think of an upside triangle the whole time.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Yeah the clothes are too tight and it's not a good look.

Actually, it's not just the clothes. I know it's objective, but muscles that big are just not aesthetically pleasing to look at anymore, especially when fully clothed as you'll just look fat, or muscled fat. I think the sweet spot is between Ryan Reynolds at the skinniest and Hugh Jackman at the bulkiest.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post

Actually, it's not just the clothes. I know it's objective, but muscles that big are just not aesthetically pleasing to look at anymore, especially when fully clothed as you'll just look fat, or muscled fat. I think the sweet spot is between Ryan Reynolds at the skinniest and Hugh Jackman at the bulkiest.
    "Subjective" is the word you're looking for, and you're right, it is highly subjective. As someone who follows a lot of Olympic lifters and powerlifters, these days I am a lot more impressed by bodies that look functional and powerful (like Jason P's) and a lot less impressed by conventionally "aesthetic" bodies who look to me like their tiny waists and legs would crumple under a heavy load.

I look at a lot of bodies I used to find impressive and now just see someone who has been calorie-restricted and dehydrated to get their bodyfat to an unsustainably low level just to show a little muscular definition in their torso for a scene in a movie.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Just one guy's perspective but I only went to the article after this thread reached a couple pages ... I was wondering what could generate that kind of conversation. On a quick glance, I didn't think the fit was that bad, as the pants weren't clinging to his calves (a problem with athletic builds). I see the concerns noted, but I wonder how often those would be noticed in a real life scenario versus a picture that can be get analyzed up and down in detail? Do you all think these items would be that noticed. To me too tight fit is when you can def see the outline of the quad. Noticeably I don't go looking into other men's crotches for fit haha

The reason I ask is because it really is a struggle to find any sort of pants that fit my legs and with suits the drop is 40/32 for me which either means a lot of tailoring or trying to find a good fit (but noticeably not an ideal fit). I would've looked at that picture and thought for the pants a fine fit on quick glance. Something that is probably pretty similar to what I have.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)

But also at some point functionality/health is also a factor. Not everything with muscles is strictly looks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

jesus dude, that was harsh

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Just one guy's perspective but I only went to the article after this thread reached a couple pages ... I was wondering what could generate that kind of conversation. On a quick glance, I didn't think the fit was that bad, as the pants weren't clinging to his calves (a problem with athletic builds). I see the concerns noted, but I wonder how often those would be noticed in a real life scenario versus a picture that can be get analyzed up and down in detail? Do you all think these items would be that noticed. To me too tight fit is when you can def see the outline of the quad. Noticeably I don't go looking into other men's crotches for fit haha

The reason I ask is because it really is a struggle to find any sort of pants that fit my legs and with suits the drop is 40/32 for me which either means a lot of tailoring or trying to find a good fit (but noticeably not an ideal fit). I would've looked at that picture and thought for the pants a fine fit on quick glance. Something that is probably pretty similar to what I have.
    IMO the pants are just snug, but the jacket is too small. I feel with more casual items there is a broader spectrum of what is a fit preference, in terms of loose or snug, and what just doesn’t fit very well. With casual items there is more room to be more body-conscious and form-fitting or, on the other side, more slouchy and relaxed, depending on your preference. With tailored items there is still a spectrum of fit but the spectrum is a bit narrower. I feel he definitely needs a size bigger and potentially a size longer, as both the stance and the overall jacket length seem a bit short.

My opinion is shaped by my general mindset on the idea that in any given outfit, the formality level of different items should generally be cohesive and congruent.... and my resulting dislike of the ever-popular "business mullet." These snug jeans would probably look great paired with a fitted henley for casual wear on the more form-fitting, physique-revealing end of the fit spectrum. If he’s going to wear a tailored jacket, on the other hand, not only should the jacket itself fit well, but he also pair it with an appropriate trouser. I would think at least a chino but maybe even a wool trouser, which would demand a slightly more relaxed and conservative fit to drape appropriately.

I say this recognizing that perfect fit is always aspirational, and that even great fit can be beyond reach for those of us with unusual body types and limited access to MTM options or skilled tailors. I am typically quite content to settle for just good fit, which would probably not hold up very well to online criticism, but gets me through my day-to-day life feeling confident about how I'm presenting myself. My main takeaway from the posted outfit is to confirm my thoughts about the importance of maintaining congruence in an outfit, which in this case would probably require swapping out the trousers for something a little more formal or else swapping out the top and shoes for something more informal.
    Ben

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    309 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    jesus dude, that was harsh
    Poor Jason P.