Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Style Scenario: What to wear to a Smart Casual job interview

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog ... good answer. Thanks. I was focusing just on the pants but I think you make some very interesting points. I thought those were a stretch type chino not jeans though?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    Right, subjective, not objective. I posted before sleeping and my brain was lazy.

Gymnasts look jacked as hell (but still with good proportions) and they're amazingly strong carrying and swinging their whole bodyweight. I think that's the maximum size I would aim for, and any more strength than that is not really useful in real life.

Being the size of powerlifters or strongmen, sure you have power but you give up a lot, and it takes a lot to maintain that muscle. Just look at how the really muscled guys in the UFC perform regardless of weight class. They're not as agile and they gas quick.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    @LesserBlackDog ... good answer. Thanks. I was focusing just on the pants but I think you make some very interesting points. I thought those were a stretch type chino not jeans though?
    I clicked through the link and it looks like they are a 5-pocket jean style pant.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Let's keep this discussion on fit and not trailing off into preferred body type. People have different goals in life which require different body types but relating this back to fit, we want people to look put together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I've noticed the same thing about fit in Dappered photos every once in a while. The idea of clothes that skim your body or your frame is mentioned regularly, but it's not always there in practice. Mainly I see it in pants that are too tight around the thighs and waist, with wrinkles from knee to ankle. Sometimes in tops as well, though.

This may just be an issue of clothes that need to be returned, but I think it's perfectly fine to mention such shortcomings of fit. Some men --- not me, of course :-) --- find tightness in other areas; it's good to have an idea about what's passable and what might be improved.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    Yeah the clothes are too tight and it's not a good look.

Actually, it's not just the clothes. I know it's objective, but muscles that big are just not aesthetically pleasing to look at anymore, especially when fully clothed as you'll just look fat, or muscled fat. I think the sweet spot is between Ryan Reynolds at the skinniest and Hugh Jackman at the bulkiest.

"Subjective" is the word you're looking for, and you're right, it is highly subjective. As someone who follows a lot of Olympic lifters and powerlifters, these days I am a lot more impressed by bodies that look functional and powerful (like Jason P's) and a lot less impressed by conventionally "aesthetic" bodies who look to me like their tiny waists and legs would crumple under a heavy load.

I look at a lot of bodies I used to find impressive and now just see someone who has been calorie-restricted and dehydrated to get their bodyfat to an unsustainably low level just to show a little muscular definition in their torso for a scene in a movie.
    Fun bit of trivia: Ben, what you call "conventionally aesthetic," and what Julius is probably alluding to, is a relatively recent phenomenon: the style was popularized by Joe Weider in the 1950s as part of a cynical effort at bypassing obscenity laws that existed back then and selling badly-produced erotica to a horribly persecuted gay community that was trapped in the shadows and had no other options/outlets. Before him and his tremendously successful marketing efforts, Bob Hoffman and his stable of internationally competitive weightlifters set the standard for "conventionally aesthetic," big shoulders and thighs and thick torsos and all. But Hoffman lived and breathed weightlifting and wasn't as good a marketer, and after the 1960s with the rise of the Eastern European powers, our weightlifting teams weren't successful internationally anyway, so bodybuilding became the dominant muscle contest, and it would be 60+ years before Greg Glassman, a great marketer despite his many obvious flaws, and his CF buddies showed up to bring proper barbell sport, and the bodies that come with that game, back to the fore.

But enough physical culture trivia. To address the topic, I am actually shaped kind of like Jason P (5'9" 220lbs, mostly in my shoulders and butt), and it is true that I cannot just blindly follow #menswear conventions the way a 5'11" 165lb guy in a 38R jacket, 33x32 slim fit pants, and size M for everything else can, but I would certainly hope I am not categorized as "just not aesthetically pleasing to look at anymore, especially when fully clothed as you'll just look fat, or muscled fat." The obvious trick is to make sure your clothes work with your bulk, not against it. Most meatheads either 1. size up their clothes for "comfort," so lots of XL t-shirts and polos and Levis 559 relaxed fit jeans which together yield a general sense of billowy shapelessness, or 2. size down their clothes thinking that that way they avoid the fat-guy look, but this just ends up making them look lumpy and out of proportion.

As with most things, I've found the solution is to go to the happy medium, so that you can let your gainzzz talk quietly, without letting them dominate your appearance and send the wrong message. You want to bring some presence into the room that a thin guy cannot, but in a subtle way that doesn't bring any negative connotations associated with it. The Rock, for example, I think is quite good at this, as are most of the recently retired players talking on NFL Sunday shows. For me personally, I like soft-shouldered jackets, which toe the line between the hard-shouldered linebacker look you can get if you regularly press and jerk, and totally unstructured, which can overly reveal all your swole. Once upon a time I asked for as much waist suppression as I could get, until it looked like a corset, but now I am all about just a slight nip, and again letting the shoulders speak for themselves. The arms, if the I cannot properly bend my elbows all the way without fabric pulling, it's too much. My favorite jackets are MTM, with a biggish sleeve shoved into a smaller armhole. I've slowly moved away from my SuSu jackets, because the smaller armholes feel good but they accompanying small sleeves look what you sometimes see on an NFL rookie defensive lineman who just bought his first real suit.

For pants, I prefer higher rise trousers in wool flannel for winter and tropical worsted for summer, with a single pleat and full cut, because they tend to drape cleanly whereas cotton pants can easily snag on your thighs and calves, even when you don't get them in slim. Lower rise stuff tends to pool around my butt and let my shirt come untucked, which gets annoying. My favorite shoes are probably my MacNeils, which again bring some balance to my overall heftiness without going into Alden territory, as opposed to some Blake stitched Magnanni, which make me look like I'm standing on twinkletoes. Shirts, polos, henleys, etc. are kind of straightforward: properly fitted in the shoulders and slimmish but not overly so in the midsection.

Iono, that's my 2c, anyway....For all I know I've just been looking "muscled fat" this whole time....
    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; February 27th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    198 Post(s)
    His body looks fine; he just needs clothes that fit properly.