Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Style Scenario: What to wear to a Smart Casual job interview

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)

Style Scenario: What to wear to a Smart Casual job interview

I usually don't click on the main page style scenarios but decided to check this one out as my company is interviewing candidates and it seems more casual styles are common for interviews. Whatever, let's have a go. Plus the guy is wearing the menswear uniform of blue jacket, gray pants, blue shirt.

Can we talk about the top photo for a second? If not, click away but we have to. This site used to be about Fit > Cost so we would find great styles that fit well for an affordable price. Note to Jason P. if he is a poster, it is awesome you workout as more people should but your clothing fit needs to take this into consideration.

The pants in the thigh region are tight to the point I would say the wearer needs to size up or try a different fit. It goes with the working out territory speaking as someone who cannot wear athletic fit. People like to poke fun at skinny jeans or super slim fit suits but this look is similar and does not get mentioned on the somewhat regular "What Styles Should Die" thread that pops up.

The jacket in the upper arm is also pretty stretched doing a basic movement. I would suggest trying a different size or fit if you want to stick with Bonobos otherwise a new brand would be needed.

If you are buying a $400 sport coat, $200+ watch, and a $300+ briefcase, you can afford to tailor your clothing. In this instance the sizing is wrong on the small end and there is only so much fabric you can let out.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    jason's a beefcake. odds are nothing OTR is going to fit him properly due to thigh and arm diameter, unless he sizes *WAY* up and tailors the CRAP out of stuff...and then it tends to not sit/look right, dimensionally, most other places.

he's a much better candidate for MTM or bespoke, but neither of those (okay maaaayyyybe MTM from a few outlets) really fit the wheelhouse of the site. at least not for the "style scenario" bits.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    127 Post(s)
    Agreed. Unfortunately if you're a gym rat (I'm not saying that pejoratively) for many years, you're going to tend to need custom made or extensively tailored clothing. Just the price of admission if you wanna get swole. My brother in law was a heavy lifter in his 20's and now at 37 he needs a 48-50 jacket for his enormous shoulders and chest but a 36 waist. Getting him into a suit is tough work.

TL;DR: If your pants leave you with moose knuckle, you need new pants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I had the same thought when I saw the photo.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    394 Post(s)
    Don't shame the moose knuckle. Embrace the moose knuckle.... just you know, not literally.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    jason's a beefcake. odds are nothing OTR is going to fit him properly due to thigh and arm diameter, unless he sizes *WAY* up and tailors the CRAP out of stuff...and then it tends to not sit/look right, dimensionally, most other places.

he's a much better candidate for MTM or bespoke, but neither of those (okay maaaayyyybe MTM from a few outlets) really fit the wheelhouse of the site. at least not for the "style scenario" bits.
    Understandable but do you present such non-standard cases to people starting in menswear? I feel Dappered is more of the starting arena in addition to places on reddit but when you show ill-fitting clothing, it looks bad for the site. I see mentions of this on other sites and Dappered gets a bad rap on fit even though it seemed Joe and team cared about it at one point. Is it do as I say, not at I do (or show)?

I have another theory that no one looks good in these newer Athletic cut pants. All examples I recall seeing look like downward pointing triangles.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExFed View Post
    I had the same thought when I saw the photo.
    Agreed. When you can see the outlines of your pockets, the pants are probably too tight. I suspect there is also a huge X with the jacket pulling on the buttons.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post

The pants in the thigh region are tight to the point I would say the wearer needs to size up or try a different fit. It goes with the working out territory speaking as someone who cannot wear athletic fit. People like to poke fun at skinny jeans or super slim fit suits but this look is similar and does not get mentioned on the somewhat regular "What Styles Should Die" thread that pops up.
    Yeah, I noticed that right away. And the fit in the thighs makes the crotch way too tight. It's not a good look. Jason P., I like your style scenario, your clothing choices, etc. But the fit needs some adjustment.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Don't shame the moose knuckle. Embrace the moose knuckle.... just you know, not literally.
    Oh boy--I've never heard the term. But I was thinking it was the male version of camel toe.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Love the scenario but agree that the picture is pretty off-putting when you first click on the article. I know most of the items the guys review on the main site aren't kept and have to be returned after. So for that reason tailoring isn't an option, and you're stuck with how it fits off the rack.

I'm going to give Jason P. the benefit of the doubt and assume that is what is going on in that photo.

Although he does mention the pants being his "go to" pants option so he could very well own everything he's wearing. In that case I think he should refer back to this article from not too long ago: https://dappered.com/2019/09/20-sign...are-too-tight/