Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pushing your Style Boundaries - What is your most adventurous outfit?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Cool Pushing your Style Boundaries - What is your most adventurous outfit?

My style evolved over time with help from this forum. During recent work trips to Milan & Tunrin I saw quite a few people wearing white pants thru out the year. I adopted it and wear them even in fall and winter (event appropriate).

Bought a summer wool Bonobos tuxedo that fit very well with minimal tailoring & I wore it with a t-shirt to a summer party at a friends place as a joke, most of my friends liked it. Now I see my friends stepping up their game

What is your most adventurous outfit? How are you pushing your style boundaries (if at all)?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    I think most adventurous to me is a burgundy suit. Iíve always wanted one and finally pulled the trigger. It will only see minimal use but I loved it.

Pushing style boundaries is not my thing. Iíd rather keep a simple classic dappered wardrobe. I donít need compliments or people going out of their way to notice my outfit. Not against it. Just not my think. My goal coming here was to up my presentation in a business setting but i donít feel the need to go outside boundaries a lot.

Iím also in my mid thirties and with a kid. Iím just trying to look up from the dads in bad jeans or joggers and hoodies everywhere.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    I like this question.

Mine may be simple but it's got to be wearing my big, tweed brown Double Breasted Spier and Mackay Overcoat around town. I live in a very casual, hot weather town, and I don't think I've even seen anyone in an overcoat. It stands out a ton from everyone else in basketball shorts and hoodies.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    I have a pretty bright blue, peak lapel, single breasted (Washington model) sport coat from Suit Supply. I hardly wear the damn thing but it is LOUD. I really need to wear it more.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    Funny you mention white pants, coz that's my answer, and also an orange polo, which is the only orange item I have just for the sake of having all colors available. I actually wear the white jeans more often than the orange polo.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    I used to have a number of fairly loud jackets including a classic white and blue stripe seersucker jacket, a burgundy wool jacket, an emerald green wool jacket, and an eggplant purple velvet jacket. I wore them all relatively routinely (not frequently, but more than sporadically). None of them fit anymore, unfortunately.

Just yesterday I got my first ever double breasted jacket (see: WIWT thread) in a bright-ish cobalt herringbone which is the loudest item I've acquired in a while. I was hesitant on the DB style at first but I've warmed up to it quite a bit.

I sometimes get into jewelry-wearing phases, which I guess is somewhat adventurous by some people's standards. I'm not really in one right now, though I do wear a couple pendant necklaces with casual stuff on occasion. I tend to cycle through ring phases and earring phases mostly.

I've worn white or off-white pants previously but don't currently have any since my last pair no longer fits.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Are you comfortable in a overcoat in a warmish place? I do like the way an overcoat stands out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I think most adventurous to me is a burgundy suit. I’ve always wanted one and finally pulled the trigger. It will only see minimal use but I loved it.

Pushing style boundaries is not my thing. I’d rather keep a simple classic dappered wardrobe. I don’t need compliments or people going out of their way to notice my outfit. Not against it. Just not my think. My goal coming here was to up my presentation in a business setting but i don’t feel the need to go outside boundaries a lot.

I’m also in my mid thirties and with a kid. I’m just trying to look up from the dads in bad jeans or joggers and hoodies everywhere.
    I dont think of it as attracting comments - more of a diverse look by dressing a bit different. I never understood why 95% winter jackets are grey, black or close to it. So i avoid black or grey suit/coat/shoes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I'm a giant attention whore in the summer. It all started when I got a blue and white seersucker suit from Bonobos for basically free. I've never worn the whole suit, as you can't put enough mint juleps into me for me to like this was anything but a costume, but the jacket goes great with white or pastel trousers, a white shirt, linen tie, and white bucks or canvas sneakers. The pants I typically wear with a polo or henley and loafers.

I also have a tropical worsted teal glen plaid suit that even has an oxymoronic vest. I like wearing hte jacket with white jeans, and a a light blue small print shirt. The pants, again I like with polos and loafers. I occasionally wear the three piece suit with a blue shirt and ancient madder tie, though this is definitely a statement look.

The only thing I have that is bold to the point of uselessness: A double breasted jacket in bright red Baird McNutt Irish linen. Mildly structured shoulders, butterfly lined in baby blue Bemberg, white MoP buttons, oversized peak lapels with extra belly, and a 6x1 configuration. Not the boxy 1990s 6x1, mind mind you, but a much more obnoxious kind popularized by Cifonelli, where the 6 buttons are in a big V formation. I typically wear this with white gabardine pants, loafers, white shirt, no tie. And only to events where I know everyone else will be drunk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I used to have a number of fairly loud jackets including a classic white and blue stripe seersucker jacket, a burgundy wool jacket, an emerald green wool jacket, and an eggplant purple velvet jacket. I wore them all relatively routinely (not frequently, but more than sporadically). None of them fit anymore, unfortunately.

Just yesterday I got my first ever double breasted jacket (see: WIWT thread) in a bright-ish cobalt herringbone which is the loudest item I've acquired in a while. I was hesitant on the DB style at first but I've warmed up to it quite a bit.

I sometimes get into jewelry-wearing phases, which I guess is somewhat adventurous by some people's standards. I'm not really in one right now, though I do wear a couple pendant necklaces with casual stuff on occasion. I tend to cycle through ring phases and earring phases mostly.

I've worn white or off-white pants previously but don't currently have any since my last pair no longer fits.
    Accessories are a great way to stand out - though not brave enough to wear pendant necklaces I experimented with pocket squares and now on the lookout for a thin scarf to rock the Keanu look in "Always be my Maybe" movie (Netflix - very funny).