Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suits? even though you don't need them that often

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    How's the actual fabric quality/lining/cut? I keep seeing Jos A Bank sales but the prices seem too good to be true.

(I also have a slight grudge against them because when I was younger and knew nothing about suits, a salesman there convinced me that I should buy a pleated black suit with cuffs - I'm a very skinny guy so you can imagine how good of a fit that was)
    I'd say quality is about on par with a suit a Ralph Loren suit at Macy's, more or less.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I'd say quality is about on par with a suit a Ralph Loren suit at Macy's, more or less.
    Hey, that's not bad for $89!

I do think people underestimate the extent to which, if you're working on a fixed budget, a cheap suit that's tailored to fit you is a better investment than a much nicer suit which doesn't fit as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)
    I think JAB suits are slightly better than RL from Macy's. The construction, lining and fit are similar but the wool used on the JAB suits seems better. I had to get one as a groomsmen suit and after extensive tailoring it fits really well and looks great. Of all the cheap suits I bought prior to knowing anything about suits, its the only one I still wear on occasion. Meanwhile, my Navy RL Macy's suit sits in the back of my closet and hasn't been worn in years. That was also tailored but it just hasn't held up as well and has seen much less wear. My only grip with the JAB suit are the boxy shoulders and low arm holes. If you can get one for cheap and it needs minimal tailoring, they're not terrible options. They're definitely better than similarly priced Mens Warehouse suits. I've also had to buy several of those for weddings and they went straight to the donation bin. I do agree that S&M suits are the best value if their sizing works for you.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    I think JAB suits are slightly better than RL from Macy's. The construction, lining and fit are similar but the wool used on the JAB suits seems better.
    I think that's a fair assessment. I wouldn't pair full price for either, though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    If Spier and Mackay had an athletic fit, they would be pretty much all i owened. Insane value for those of us that rarely wear suiting - and even those that wear it often.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    I think that's a fair assessment. I wouldn't pair full price for either, though.
    If we're being honest I wouldn't pay sale prices for either.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    If Spier and Mackay had an athletic fit, they would be pretty much all i owened. Insane value for those of us that rarely wear suiting - and even those that wear it often.
    Do you mean in suits? The contemporary is the only suit pants that fit my legs. SuSu, JCrew etc aren’t close.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    If we're being honest I wouldn't pay sale prices for either.
    Okay--but I have a pretty decent suit that cost me about $225 all in with tailoring. It fits well and looks good.

Not as good as Suit Supply, for sure--but I'm fine with wearing it and I'm not easy to please.

Indeed, I think I'm going to take off my sweater and put the jacket on while I'm working here at home.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Do you mean in suits? The contemporary is the only suit pants that fit my legs. SuSu, JCrew etc aren’t close.
    J Crew did introduce a roomier fit a couple years back. These days they're calling it their "classic" fit as opposed to their slim fit. They call both fits Ludlow, which is a little confusing - you have to make sure you're ordering the Ludlow Classic fit and not the Ludlow slim fit to get the roomier cut.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    Okay--but I have a pretty decent suit that cost me about $225 all in with tailoring. It fits well and looks good.

Not as good as Suit Supply, for sure--but I'm fine with wearing it and I'm not easy to please.

Indeed, I think I'm going to take off my sweater and put the jacket on while I'm working here at home.
    fair enough. i just dislike the fused nature and fact that, with my body type, i'm paying at least the cost of the suit for it to be tailored properly....and the arm holes are still halfway down the rib cage.

they're good for getting the job started, and i'll still make recs to friends getting out needing a few suits quick or whatever, with the caveat that 6-9 months down the line they're going to need to start putting in orders with Spier, and to budget for it.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com