Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allen Edmonds Factory Seconds - Worth it?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    581 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza74 View Post
    I can definitely live with a blemish like that. Order placed!
    be sure and post pics when they arrive!!

What did you end up ordering?
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    be sure and post pics when they arrive!!

What did you end up ordering?

I will. I ordered the Williamsburg chukka in the coffee color. I love the simplicity of the boot and best of all, it fits my misfit of a foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    A pair of these Arctic Chukka boots (Seconds) just arrived yesterday.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/factory...58S-130-D.html

I consider them satisfactory. The noticeable defects is that the pebble grained leather is not all pebble grained and a bit wavy in some places. There are a few places an inch or so square, where the leather is smooth and wavy.

For 50% off, to me, that is acceptable. (I had an extra % off from the current price shown).

That said, I'm going to need to return them. AE recommended a size 13 and they are just too big. My true size is usually a 12.5, but there aren't many half sizes over 12. I should have gone with a 12, though.

Now I'm eating not only the $25, but the expedited shipping fee I paid so I got them before my trip.

But I'm not complaining, because I was aware of the risk. I don't like it--but I'm not complaining.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    A pair of these Arctic Chukka boots (Seconds) just arrived yesterday.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/factory...58S-130-D.html

I consider them satisfactory. The noticeable defects is that the pebble grained leather is not all pebble grained and a bit wavy in some places. There are a few places an inch or so square, where the leather is smooth and wavy.

For 50% off, to me, that is acceptable. (I had an extra % off from the current price shown).

That said, I'm going to need to return them. AE recommended a size 13 and they are just too big. My true size is usually a 12.5, but there aren't many half sizes over 12. I should have gone with a 12, though.

Now I'm eating not only the $25, but the expedited shipping fee I paid so I got them before my trip.

But I'm not complaining, because I was aware of the risk. I don't like it--but I'm not complaining.
    Itís a shame you have to return them, but if they donít fit....

Today I saw a pair of Stone suede Nomad Chukka on Amazon for $146. With free Amazon returns I had to bite. Should be arriving on Thursday.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza74 View Post
    It’s a shame you have to return them, but if they don’t fit....

Today I saw a pair of Stone suede Nomad Chukka on Amazon for $146. With free Amazon returns I had to bite. Should be arriving on Thursday.
    I have that boot in snuff color. I like it a lot.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    I have probably 20 pairs of AE seconds, Maybe 4 pairs of AE firsts I bought 'on sale' at regular full price. When I bought my first two I had to figure out the sizing really well and I sure did. I love these first AAE shoes I bought, i think I am even wearing a pair of them at work right now.

I have probably returned 2 pairs of AE seconds because they had serious issues.

I have definitely returned 3 pairs of AE seconds purely because they didn't fit like I had been hoping (i had been trying to get some loafers, and fit is hard with wide feet...)

that is a pretty good ratio, i would say.

I LOOOOOVE me some Allen Edmonds Seconds. <3

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    So the chukkas arrived today. I ended up biting the bullet and ordered 2 different sizes of the Williamsburg since I never got to try on the 8.5 3E in the store and I was afraid there wouldnít be enough room, so I also got a 9 E that was available. I now believe that I am a 8.5 2E on this last.

The 8.5 3E feel like the right length and are comfortable in the width. If they had 2E it would be a perfect fit. There are some blemishes of course since these are seconds, namely the leather on the toes is a touch darker and a couple of scratches.

and there is a scratch towards the back .

Overall not too bad and I can probably add polish to the scratches to make them look better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    The 9E actually are in better condition. The only thing I see is a little scuff on the side near the welt on one boot. These were a little more snug on the width, which will get better with wear, but my foot does slip a little while walking. I could probably put some adhesive cushion inside the boot to stop the slipping if I decide to keep this pair. They are in better overall shape and I donít mind the little bit of snugness on the width.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Finally, the suede Nomads also arrived from Amazon. The fit is great, but disappointingly the issue is that the nap on the toe of one of the boots is non-existent, so it looks like a stain. Not sure if I can fix it in any way?

So there you have it. Iím definitely keeping one of the pairs of the Williamsburg, and if I can make the Nomads look better then those stay too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess this will be my new rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Nice find with the Williamsburgs. I can't actually distinguish any noticeable flaws from the pics except when you really zoom in.

You can try going over the funky spot on the Nomad with a suede brush or a scotch brite pad. Technically what you are supposedly doing is raising nap that might have gone flat, but if the spot is truly bald, this might not work except perhaps to add new texture to where there was none before, thus blending it together with the not-bald part. That said, I would not have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it, and it's suede so it'll get covered in dings and dents soon enough anyway, right?