Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Recommendations? Short Time to Find Some Stylish "Urban Hiking" Boots

  1. #1
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,656
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)

    Recommendations? Short Time to Find Some Stylish "Urban Hiking" Boots

    One of the things we like to do when we travel is go for long walks around cities. And our some of our favorite cities can get pretty wet. Next week, we're headed for Portland, Oregon.

    A few years ago, I picked up some Clarks boots with padded leather uppers and rubber soles. The soles did not look like sneaker soles. They looked good with jeans and I felt comfortably stylish walking into a gastro pub, a dive bar, a hotel bar, or some such place wearing them in the day time.

    But they also worked for times when sidewalk hiking lead to muddy dirt walkways through parks and such.

    They were freakin' durable, comfortable, and still looked great after hundreds of miles walking.

    They were also discontinued.

    A few weeks ago, I got them very wet and dirty working in the yard. I took them off outside to not drag the dirt inside. In the sun. And it got hot. For a few days before I remembered.

    I put them on yesterday and discovered they are now ruined. They de-laminated inside or something. Like the glue holding the padding onto the leather upper melted in the hot sun and then hardened in a misshaped blob inside.

    I need a replacement before next Thursday when we leave and sooner so maybe I could break them in a little bit first. I just ordered these from Clarks, but I think they are ugly. There were a couple others there that looked good, but not my size (12 or 13--usually 13 in shoes for walking).

    https://www.clarksusa.com/c/Ashcombe...TEX/p/26135409


    Also just ordered these AE Alpine Chukka boots, factory 2nd's, waterproof, etc--but I'm not thrilled with that color
    Now I might need to pay the $25 restocking.

    https://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/fa...alpine&start=1

    And these Wolverines, which I have not ordered:

    https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/harw...799432845.html


    Those actually look the best to me. But now I'm hesitating because of the others I've ordered.


    Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by mebejoseph; February 21st, 2020 at 02:35 AM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Justin Fitzpatrick's Snoqualmie is a great city hiker, I'm wearing mine today. But I'd say they lean more towards fashion than function. Your best bet of those listed is probably Wolverine. Red Wing or Thursday might have options too.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,656
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    IMO one of the worst things you could do is get a new pair of shoes and then plan to immediately turn around and walk in them for hours every day on a vacation. I would think you'd be better off picking a different pair of shoes you already own that you know will be comfortable, if not the most stylish for every situation you might find yourself in.

    The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to spend it bandaging up your gnarly blisters you got from wearing new, un-broken boots continually for days at a time.
    Ben

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,809
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    IMO one of the worst things you could do is get a new pair of shoes and then plan to immediately turn around and walk in them for hours every day on a vacation. I would think you'd be better off picking a different pair of shoes you already own that you know will be comfortable, if not the most stylish for every situation you might find yourself in.

    The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to spend it bandaging up your gnarly blisters you got from wearing new, un-broken boots continually for days at a time.
    one exception...if you find a boot/shoe that is comfy and keep rebuying it. I found some clear winners for me on trails and I know I cna order them in a particular size and no breakin required. That seems boring and probably doesnt apply here but it works for me with this ind of thing. My recommendation for this application...go to the stores and try stuff on. Establsihed hiking companies now make "lifestyle" models that might meet your needs. Look at Keen, Merrell, Sorel, Danner, and Vasque. Hit up REI to try them on. Dont discount Timberland either. They dont last as long s they used to back in the day but they still have several comfortable and light models. All of these brands are outdoor oriented so they will have either waterproofing or a design that helps keep water out even if they arent truly waterproof.

    But to @LesserBlackDog 's point, if I were in the same situation I would be grabbing my known shoes. I have a pair of 1901 gum sole wingtips that are shockingly comfortable and my Bjorn chukkas are as well. To that point, look at both of those brands actually.


    also, all the brands you listed are dress shoe or workboot companies that have expanded to "hiking". I dont have great luck with the comfort on those as a whole.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,656
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Justin Fitzpatrick's Snoqualmie is a great city hiker, I'm wearing mine today. But I'd say they lean more towards fashion than function. Your best bet of those listed is probably Wolverine. Red Wing or Thursday might have options too.
    Yeah, I thought of those, but the three times I've purchased from him, it took a long time to get the merchandise. Maybe I can shoot him an email and see.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  6. #6
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,656
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    IMO one of the worst things you could do is get a new pair of shoes and then plan to immediately turn around and walk in them for hours every day on a vacation. I would think you'd be better off picking a different pair of shoes you already own that you know will be comfortable, if not the most stylish for every situation you might find yourself in.

    The last thing you want to do on a vacation is to spend it bandaging up your gnarly blisters you got from wearing new, un-broken boots continually for days at a time.
    Yeah, I know. I just don't have anything else other than my running shoes. One of the disadvantages to owning so many shoes is that none of them get properly broken in.

    One of the great things about those Clarks boots is the padding on the inside. of the upper The day after I got them, we put six miles on them and no problem.

    After I paid full price for them, about a year later, I see them on clearance for half price--I should have picked up another pair.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,809
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Yeah, I know. I just don't have anything else other than my running shoes. One of the disadvantages to owning so many shoes is that none of them get properly broken in.

    One of the great things about those Clarks boots is the padding on the inside. of the upper The day after I got them, we put six miles on them and no problem.

    After I paid full price for them, about a year later, I see them on clearance for half price--I should have picked up another pair.
    those were my bjorns too. out of the box comfy. They may be too casual for you but check them out. I can walk a long time in my J Crew Kenton boots but standing is less pleasant. Whatever you get, I suggest some merino socks. They let you wear thicker socks without increasing foot sweat and reduce friction. game changer for walking IMO. I wear merino year round now.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,656
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    My recommendation for this application...go to the stores and try stuff on. Establsihed hiking companies now make "lifestyle" models that might meet your needs. Look at Keen, Merrell, Sorel, Danner, and Vasque. Hit up REI to try them on.
    Yeah, there's an REI about 20 minutes away. Maybe I'll try that. I hate shopping brick and mortar, but I may not have a choice.

    Thanks.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Yeah, I thought of those, but the three times I've purchased from him, it took a long time to get the merchandise. Maybe I can shoot him an email and see.
    He has been doing a lot of pre-orders in the last year and not carrying so much inventory it seems like. Not sure if that's a change in the business model or a temporary shuffle in operations. I too hate waiting for stuff to come in, not having stock will often lead me to look elsewhere.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I have a pair of these in the Honey color and really like them.

    https://taftclothing.com/products/th...-boot-in-brown

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •