Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushing your Style Boundaries - What is your most adventurous outfit?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I'm a giant attention whore in the summer. It all started when I got a blue and white seersucker suit from Bonobos for basically free. I've never worn the whole suit, as you can't put enough mint juleps into me for me to like this was anything but a costume, but the jacket goes great with white or pastel trousers, a white shirt, linen tie, and white bucks or canvas sneakers. The pants I typically wear with a polo or henley and loafers.

I also have a tropical worsted teal glen plaid suit that even has an oxymoronic vest. I like wearing hte jacket with white jeans, and a a light blue small print shirt. The pants, again I like with polos and loafers. I occasionally wear the three piece suit with a blue shirt and ancient madder tie, though this is definitely a statement look.

The only thing I have that is bold to the point of uselessness: A double breasted jacket in bright red Baird McNutt Irish linen. Mildly structured shoulders, butterfly lined in baby blue Bemberg, white MoP buttons, oversized peak lapels with extra belly, and a 6x1 configuration. Not the boxy 1990s 6x1, mind mind you, but a much more obnoxious kind where the 6 buttons are in a big V formation. I typicall wear this with white gabardine pants, loafers, white shirt, no tie. And only to events where I know everyone else will be drunk.
    Damn - this is what i call adventurous! Photos?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

This has been a big influence on me - an older man dressing this well! From the Italian movie - The Great Beauty.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    A pair of red/burgundy corduroys.

Not very adventurous for most but I'm on the conservative side. Most of my wardrobe is blue, black, grey or white.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    A silk scarf as a day cravat

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    The double breasted grey and blue windowpane suits aren’t a big stretch for me, they look good, and I wear them well.

However...

I do have a couple others.

The leopard print suit is more of a stretch than the purple one. Maybe more a burgundy than a true purple. The leopard fit off the rack, so obviously I needed to have it. The burgundy needed some tailoring but it also looks slick. I don’t have enough places to wear it, but damn, it’s slick.

Now, the American Flag shorts romper is just waiting for the right 4th of July party with enough cocktails to make its debut. Or maybe not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    549 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drchak View Post
    I dont think of it as attracting comments - more of a diverse look by dressing a bit different. I never understood why 95% winter jackets are grey, black or close to it. So i avoid black or grey suit/coat/shoes.
    Maybe not you but I’d guess the majority that would push style boundaries is to get noticed. That’s why they push them. One upping others etc. doesn’t bother me if ppl prefer that. It’s just not my thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drchak View Post
    Are you comfortable in a overcoat in a warmish place? I do like the way an overcoat stands out.
    Only like one week out of the year :-p I'm looking to move to a colder climate.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    My most adventurous jacket is a Brooks Brothers Multi-Windowpane check Harris Tweed sportcoat that I got here via swap and shop for cheap. It's loud but not super loud.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Excellent question!

My style is generally conservative (dark, solid colors, in classic pieces), but I do have a couple items that I indulge with to peacock.

One of my favorite items is this corduroy shearling collar trucker jacket from Mango Man
    https://shop.mango.com/mn/men/jacket..._33027627.html

I'm also a big fan of fair isle sweaters and ugly Cosby sweaters. I have this patchwork sweater from Brooks Brothers:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/348606827402632323/

I've been eyeing this sweater from Isabel Marant but it's way outside my budget and now its sold out anyways:
    https://www.isabelmarant.com/us/isab...4009937sv.html

When the rest of the outfit is understated, it can be easy to naturally incorporate a statement piece into your outfit.

I also think age matters a lot, too. I'm 31, so I can get away with that shearing jacket for now; but I will probably have to retire it another five to ten years.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I have a pair of light pink jeans that I wear in the summer. I typically combine it with a navy polo and white minimal sneakers.

I also love floral pattern shirts. Grand Frank and John Henric sell some of my favorites. Here are a couple of examples:
    https://johnhenric.com/us/shirts/shirt-ulysses
    https://www.grandfrank.com/world/ant...ton-down-shirt

I also have this shirt:
    https://johnhenric.com/us/shirts/shirt-octavian

I typically wear these shirts as shown, with dark slacks or dark wash denim. You would be surprised how many people tell me these love these shirts when I wear them. So long as the rest of the outfit it toned down it can look really nice.

I also wear these shirts under crew neck sweaters. My wife always loves that look.