Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: The Problem with Allen Edmonds--or is a problem with me?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,653
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)

    The Problem with Allen Edmonds--or is a problem with me?

    Jeez, I've been on a shoe buying spree the last month or so. Mostly vintage stuff, two pairs of Florsheim vcleats--one is shell--a pair of Nettletons from the 80's, and several others--plus a nice almost new pair of Crockett and Jones loafers that I got for a steal. I've got at least 10 pairs sitting here in my home office because there's not room in my closet with the other 40 or so pairs.

    I got busy at work and let a pair of Allen Edmonds unworn Jefferson's in walnut go for $68 on ebay--broke my heart.

    But anyways, just when I swear I will never buy another pair of AE shoes because I have way too many AE shoes and I want some others--they put on a sale like this--shell cordovan loafers for $375? Not factory seconds?

    Crap--I'm going to resist.

    I hope. I work too much. Then I drink too much. Then I buy too many shoes.

    https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...efv1=12%7C12.5


    Long Branch boots for $160?

    https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...&start=1&sz=54



    AE needs to stop with these crazy sales.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    If you're filling a hole in your wardrobe and you happen upon a sale that's one thing... Buying just because there's a sale? That's different.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,653
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    If you're filling a hole in your wardrobe and you happen upon a sale that's one thing... Buying just because there's a sale? That's different.
    You're right. But I can always find a hole. I have suede blue tassel loafers. I have black and burgundy tassel loafers. I have chili kilted tassel loafers (but for wearing inside only). I have walnut and brown penny loafers. I have blue driving loafers. I have new old stock vintage burgundy loafers made by Wright (for inside only).

    But I don't have BURGUNDY SHELL PENNY LOAFERS!

    Also, I don't have walnut full-brogue oxford wingtips. Yes, I have walnut full brogue derbies, but that's not the same as oxfords. See, those Jeffersons are calling my name!

    But even though I can find holes, I want some different brands. I'd like some Aldens, Carmina, and St. Crispin shoes.

    I'm an idiot sucker for a 50% off or more sale.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Also, I don't have walnut full-brogue oxford wingtips. I'd like some Aldens, Carmina, and St. Crispin shoes.
    Walnut full brogues you say? Wave bye to AE and buy these instead

  5. #5
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,653
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Walnut full brogues you say? Wave bye to AE and buy these instead
    Those are beautiful. But do they ever go on sale?

    And look at these!


    https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...g-full-brogue/
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Gotham
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Those are beautiful. But do they ever go on sale?

    And look at these!


    https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...g-full-brogue/
    The only sale I've seen is on odd-stock items here and there so no... If you're going to buy multiple pairs of AE anyway, then that's no different on the wallet than a pair from StC...

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Personally I found that once I got past a certain # of pairs of shoes, the allure of buying something just because it's a good deal went away. I also think that since shoes are a serious hobby for you, you should look around at the various makers more and see exactly what you like best as far as style, fit, and cost. For most people they don't want to spend too much on shoes but still want something decent so AE fits the bill and they have like 3 pairs of shoes that suits their needs, but if you're going to be dropping thousands or even tens of thousands on shoes then you have a lot more options and should buy the things you like best rather than the things that are the best deals. If the answer to that question is AE then great, but who knows you might find another maker out there that you prefer to AE, and in that case it might be better to have 10 pairs from that maker than 50 pairs from AE.

    I started out with like 5-10 pairs of AE because I got them as "great" deals but then later found out I prefer other brands that for me personally fit better and look better, so ended up selling most of them. These days I've seen brand new AE 1sts for <$100 which is a great deal for what it is, but I have no desire to buy them because they'd never make it into my rotation.

    More generally I think it's a journey that most people go through where when you're starting out you don't haven't nailed down your style and exactly what you like, so the notion that something is great bang for buck or a great deal kind of helps fill that gap (and make it lower cost / risk to try something), but as you go on your closet gets more full, you figure out what your style is and exactly what you like, then it becomes more about buying what you like and less buying something because it's a good deal.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

  8. #8
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,653
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Personally I found that once I got past a certain # of pairs of shoes, the allure of buying something just because it's a good deal went away. I also think that since shoes are a serious hobby for you, you should look around at the various makers more and see exactly what you like best as far as style, fit, and cost. For most people they don't want to spend too much on shoes but still want something decent so AE fits the bill and they have like 3 pairs of shoes that suits their needs, but if you're going to be dropping thousands or even tens of thousands on shoes then you have a lot more options and should buy the things you like best rather than the things that are the best deals. If the answer to that question is AE then great, but who knows you might find another maker out there that you prefer to AE, and in that case it might be better to have 10 pairs from that maker than 50 pairs from AE.

    I started out with like 5-10 pairs of AE because I got them as "great" deals but then later found out I prefer other brands that for me personally fit better and look better, so ended up selling most of them. These days I've seen brand new AE 1sts for <$100 which is a great deal for what it is, but I have no desire to buy them because they'd never make it into my rotation.

    More generally I think it's a journey that most people go through where when you're starting out you don't haven't nailed down your style and exactly what you like, so the notion that something is great bang for buck or a great deal kind of helps fill that gap (and make it lower cost / risk to try something), but as you go on your closet gets more full, you figure out what your style is and exactly what you like, then it becomes more about buying what you like and less buying something because it's a good deal.
    Yes, you're reading my mind. Of course you're 100% correct.

    I would like to replace some of my AE, Jack Erwin, and Frye shoes/boots I already have with Carmina, Alden, St. Crispin, Church's, and G&G, for examples.

    I've never had a retail problem before I bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes a couple of years ago. But now I can't seem to stop.

    And that's the problem with Allen Edmonds. Or is it a problem with me?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,954
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Personally I found that once I got past a certain # of pairs of shoes, the allure of buying something just because it's a good deal went away.
    This is what has happened to me. I am not sure how many pair of shoes I have, but I seem to have hit a point when I am in a holding pattern. I see some very nice looking shoes on the various threads here and I think how I'd like to add them to my collection. Problem two fold.

    1. I hate paying shipping to the Great White North. So I do my best to ship them to a PO box in the US and pick the shoes up there. But that means a drive across border and then playing the customs game coming back home.
    2. Space. Shoe space is at a premium in our place. Between me and the wife, we are duking it out for it out for closet space. Right now we have an equilibrium going on. But I suspect one pair of shoes either way might throw us in to chaos.

    I'll crack soon enough. Just of a matter of when.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,653
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    ***

    2. Space. Shoe space is at a premium in our place. Between me and the wife, we are duking it out for it out for closet space. Right now we have an equilibrium going on. But I suspect one pair of shoes either way might throw us in to chaos.

    I'll crack soon enough. Just of a matter of when.
    You think you're cramped for space? Canada is more or less about the same size as the USA, and it's got 1/8 the population. You should have acres of room for shoes up there.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •