Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Problem with Allen Edmonds--or is a problem with me?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    You and me both.

The real problem with Allen Edmonds is that their quality control sucks.

No disagreement on that here.

The saving grace of course being that when QC passes something they shouldn't, and it gets out, if the customer brings it up, CS *WILL* take care of it.

Granted if the former weren't so prevalent the latter wouldn't be so well-versed, but wish in one hand....
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Personally I found that once I got past a certain # of pairs of shoes, the allure of buying something just because it's a good deal went away.
    This is what has happened to me. I am not sure how many pair of shoes I have, but I seem to have hit a point when I am in a holding pattern. I see some very nice looking shoes on the various threads here and I think how I'd like to add them to my collection. Problem two fold.

1. I hate paying shipping to the Great White North. So I do my best to ship them to a PO box in the US and pick the shoes up there. But that means a drive across border and then playing the customs game coming back home.
    2. Space. Shoe space is at a premium in our place. Between me and the wife, we are duking it out for it out for closet space. Right now we have an equilibrium going on. But I suspect one pair of shoes either way might throw us in to chaos.

I'll crack soon enough. Just of a matter of when.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post

2. Space. Shoe space is at a premium in our place. Between me and the wife, we are duking it out for it out for closet space. Right now we have an equilibrium going on. But I suspect one pair of shoes either way might throw us in to chaos.

I'll crack soon enough. Just of a matter of when.
    You think you're cramped for space? Canada is more or less about the same size as the USA, and it's got 1/8 the population. You should have acres of room for shoes up there.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    I just started using the guest bedroom closet. /shrug

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Yep storage space is an issue...

Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Yep storage space is an issue...

Whoa, that's kind of my dream—but at the same time, I am certain my wife would leave me if it got to this point.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    @Token are those all just yours? How do you know what shoes are in what bags?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Thank you all for your support. I resisted my impulse to buy shoes I don't need or want just because they are on sale. The sale is over and the temptation is gone.

I am going to set my sights on higher quality, less quantity, and wait until I feel comfortable dropping a few more bucks on shoes like these:

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...ingtip-oxford/

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...g-full-brogue/
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    @Token are those all just yours? How do you know what shoes are in what bags?
    Yep all mine. Short answer is for the most part I donít know what shoes are in what bags. I can quickly tell which maker based off the color of the shoe bag, but sometimes itís still guess and check especially if I havenít worn that pair for a while.

Ideally Iíd have all of the clear containers so I wouldnít need to use the dust bags and can see the shoes directly but I havenít quite gotten there yet.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Thank you all for your support. I resisted my impulse to buy shoes I don't need or want just because they are on sale. The sale is over and the temptation is gone.

I am going to set my sights on higher quality, less quantity, and wait until I feel comfortable dropping a few more bucks on shoes like these:

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...ingtip-oxford/

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...g-full-brogue/

I'm happy to photograph any Edward Green or Gaziano & Girling you'd like to see in-person this summer.

I can also swang by Carmina in April if you want in-person photos of something there...I'm going to get sized on various lasts as that's my next step in RTW provided something works well for me.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com