Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Problem with Allen Edmonds--or is a problem with me?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    You're evil, but you're making me laugh.
    Then my jerb here is done....

I'm really happy to see the turnaround Caleres have done with AE. They were teetering on the brink of pitchforks and torches for a hot minute.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I have the Patriots in brown shell. Picked them up as seconds for about the same price. I love them and you are seriously tempting me to pick up the burgundy pair, but they would be redundant with my Aldens. ��

Luckily, I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I am not buying clothes or shoes this year. Only 10 1/2 more months to go!
    Okay, I can afford Aldens or Carmina shell and I'd rather have them, but the AE patriot is almost as good, right? And they are half the price. So, I should get the less expensive ones, no? That's the way my momma raised me. Except should would never spend more than $100 for a pair of shoes. She saw some shoes on Amazon for $60 that she really wanted, so I got them for her, and she said they are the nicest shoes she's ever had. See?

Maybe it's like women? I wanted lots of women until I met my wife. Then I just wanted her.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I have the Patriots in brown shell. Picked them up as seconds for about the same price. I love them and you are seriously tempting me to pick up the burgundy pair, but they would be redundant with my Aldens. 😬

Luckily, I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I am not buying clothes or shoes this year. Only 10 1/2 more months to go!
    Okay, they don't have my size, so I'm safe on the Patriots.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the passenger View Post
    I can very much relate to this (the buying too many shoes part, not the working too much or drinking too much). A couple of things that may or may not be helpful: I am trying to justify new purchases before I make them. It's easier if it's a replacement purchase (needed something waterproof), or a special circumstance (I bought a pair of Paraboot loafers in Paris because they don't sell them online). Second, I have been selling off things that I no longer wear or shouldn't have bought in the first place. That helps to bring a little more balance to my assortment.
    Okay, it sounds like you've got your mind right on this. I need to find that place.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)
    Okay, I can afford Aldens or Carmina shell and I'd rather have them, but the AE patriot is almost as good, right? And they are half the price. So, I should get the less expensive ones, no? That's the way my momma raised me. Except should would never spend more than $100 for a pair of shoes. She saw some shoes on Amazon for $60 that she really wanted, so I got them for her, and she said they are the nicest shoes she's ever had. See?

Maybe it's like women? I wanted lots of women until I met my wife. Then I just wanted her.
    I actually like my patriots slightly better than my Alden’s. You can’t beat Alden’s #8 color and their finishing is unique (glossier than AE which is good or bad depending on your taste). The thing I like about the patriots is that they are sleeker. Alden’s are kinda clunky. They are good for a certain look, but the Patriots work everywhere imo. That’s why I almost picked these up even though they are redundant. With you being in SoCal, I am sure you can find a way to try on both even if not the shell version.

I can’t speak to Carmina’s Shell, but they sure look beautiful!

My 2 cents: if you are going to continue buying shoes at the pace you have been, pick up the AE. If you are going to slow down a bit and focus on higher end brands, wait.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Also, I don't have walnut full-brogue oxford wingtips. I'd like some Aldens, Carmina, and St. Crispin shoes.
    Walnut full brogues you say? Wave bye to AE and buy these instead

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Walnut full brogues you say? Wave bye to AE and buy these instead
    Those are beautiful. But do they ever go on sale?

And look at these!

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...g-full-brogue/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Those are beautiful. But do they ever go on sale?

And look at these!

https://www.saintcrispins.com/produc...g-full-brogue/
    The only sale I've seen is on odd-stock items here and there so no... If you're going to buy multiple pairs of AE anyway, then that's no different on the wallet than a pair from StC...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The only sale I've seen is on odd-stock items here and there so no... If you're going to buy multiple pairs of AE anyway, then that's no different on the wallet than a pair from StC...

That's exactly the line I'll be giving Mrs. Horseyhead this summer in London.

She doesn't know I'm heading to NYC for my first measurements with Clevlerley a few months ahead of time, to *HOPEFULLY* have the lasts done and maybe a trial pair ready to go when we get there in July.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    310 Post(s)
    Okay, it sounds like you've got your mind right on this. I need to find that place.
    You and me both.

The real problem with Allen Edmonds is that their quality control sucks.