Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Dark Grey Instead of Black?

  1. #41
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Mandatory comment about garryowen making this his Little Bighorn / Ia Drang Valley. Gotta pick your battles, bruv. Both with forum posters and with grooms who don't know #menswear.
    Us Cavalrymen have never been very good at graceful withdrawals...

  2. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    Of course, this whole bloated thread is because weddings are the original exercise in hashtag bougie, with us plebes trying to mimic the rituals and pageantry of the rich. You just know those Roaring 20s grooms didn't 1. have a pile of groomsmen about them, 2. have to tell everyone to wear X, or 3, have to then see them show up wearing their rental garb badly. Rather, they just invited their friends and, I guess since this sort of predates marrying for love, their business associates and business-associates-in-law, and all the invitees were familiar with dress codes and knew to show up looking like a Laurence Fellows character. Unfortunately, The Wedding Industry happened and folks misinterpreted ruling class dress codes for "Oh I guess we all need identical black suits then." The answer is of course that we should bring back some sort of dress code guideline for the masses, but of course in a less restrictive and classist manner than what rich cats had during the interbellum years, but that ain't happening, so really the wedding industry just needs to die...and then I'd gladly wear the black suit to its funeral.
    And I enthusiastically agree with everything here! Well said.

  3. #43
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Black suits have gotten a bad rap over the past few years, but I still think they can look badass. Nothing looks more rock and roll.

    I’m in the camp that if the groom asked for a black suit, you buy a black suit and don’t try to be different. Black and charcoal look similar until you’re standing next to a bunch of black suits and you’re going to stick out like a sore thumb. Just buy a cheapie and be honored that your friend asked you to be part of his big day.
    Black suits can look good but do go in and out of style some. They were nowhere in the 1980s, then Quentin Tarantino started making movies and everyone started wearing black suits because they thought it make them look badass like those guys in those movies. The thing we've learned since is that guys like Samuel L Jackson and Harvey Keitel look badass in just about everything. The moral being to look badass you have to be a badass or at least be good at seeming like a badass. Just wearing a black suit is not going to do the trick.

    Now, black outerwear never, ever goes out of style. NYC is the most stylish city in the nation, and if you want to spot the tourists in NYC in the winter it's easy - they're the ones not wearing black coats.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

  4. #44
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    I've been wanting a black blazer for a while, any recommendations? I was keeping an eye on Uniqlo.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    I've been wanting a black blazer for a while, any recommendations? I was keeping an eye on Uniqlo.
    I have a Brooks Bros one in black cashmere, with soft shoulders, notch lapels, two button front with pewter buttons, and a single vent, which I like to pair with gray mohair trousers, white shirt, dark tie, and either black captoes or black velvet slippers. Pretty useful for vague evening dress codes, such as cocktail attire, or for black tie optional sorts of affairs where hardly anyone actually wears a proper black tie rig. BB has a similar one in stock right now, but it's rather expensive, esp for something you won't get that many wears out of; if you have time and patience to keep looking, I would suggest that anything that has some texture and relaxed shoulders and clearly not an orphaned suit jacket is good to go. The texture itself I'd prefer something from the flannel/velvet/woolen family, as opposed to hopsack or fresco, since it's probably going to be more for cool weather / evening use.

  6. #46
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    I've been wanting a black blazer for a while, any recommendations? I was keeping an eye on Uniqlo.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I have a Brooks Bros one in black cashmere, with soft shoulders, notch lapels, two button front with pewter buttons, and a single vent, which I like to pair with gray mohair trousers, white shirt, dark tie, and either black captoes or black velvet slippers. Pretty useful for vague evening dress codes, such as cocktail attire, or for black tie optional sorts of affairs where hardly anyone actually wears a proper black tie rig. BB has a similar one in stock right now, but it's rather expensive, esp for something you won't get that many wears out of; if you have time and patience to keep looking, I would suggest that anything that has some texture and relaxed shoulders and clearly not an orphaned suit jacket is good to go. The texture itself I'd prefer something from the flannel/velvet/woolen family, as opposed to hopsack or fresco, since it's probably going to be more for cool weather / evening use.
    I have a cashmere blazer that sounds very similar. It is my most versatile blazer (and my second cashmere blazer, because I wore the bejesus out of the first one).

    Highly recommend if you can find one. The one I have now I got at a Men's Wearhouse sale for (seriously) about 85% off a couple of years ago. How can you miss for 100% cashmere for about $100? I paid more to have it tailored than for the jacket.

    I bet the BB is even nicer.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    I have a cashmere blazer that sounds very similar. It is my most versatile blazer (and my second cashmere blazer, because I wore the bejesus out of the first one).

    Highly recommend if you can find one. The one I have now I got at a Men's Wearhouse sale for (seriously) about 85% off a couple of years ago. How can you miss for 100% cashmere for about $100? I paid more to have it tailored than for the jacket.

    I bet the BB is even nicer.
    How do you normally wear yours? I'd like to use mine more but always end up wimping out in favor of a blue blazer unless I'm doing the aforementioned black tie lite thing.

  8. #48
    Varsity Member mebejoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    How do you normally wear yours? I'd like to use mine more but always end up wimping out in favor of a blue blazer unless I'm doing the aforementioned black tie lite thing.
    I hope the OP doesn't mind us hijacking the thread. I wear it from casual to dressy. I even wear it with dark jeans sometimes; I like the combo of dark blue jeans, oxblood shoes, matching belt, and a white or light blue shirt.

    I also wear it with charcoal or light gray trousers. Usually black shoes Almost any color dress shirt, but not usually a plaid. I rarely wear a tie--my wife doesn't like them when we go out. If I'm wearing a tie, that usually means I'm wearing a suit.

    But your combo with tie and velvet slippers sounds very smart.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    As many others have said, I think it would be noticeable if you tried to pull off a dark charcoal vs black. And you'll earn the scorn of his wife when you stand out ever so slightly in all of the pictures. Having said that, I would take the opportunity to get a decent black suit. I think the general rule of NO BLACK SUITS can be a bit overblown. Sure you don't wear it or an interview or for other office wear, but you will definitely (unfortunately) be attending funerals at some point in the future, and may have evening events where a black suit is perfectly appropriate (perhaps you could sneak a peak lapel under the radar easier than a different color). I'd still lean toward buying over renting just because the price difference usually isn't that huge, and you'll still get wear out of a black suit.

    Not knowing anything about the suit rules, the first suit I ever bought was black. It was also cheap and terrible and has long since left my closet. I no longer own a black suit, but unfortunately find myself wishing I did whenever a funeral rolls around.

  10. #50
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    Black suits can look good but do go in and out of style some. They were nowhere in the 1980s, then Quentin Tarantino started making movies and everyone started wearing black suits because they thought it make them look badass like those guys in those movies. The thing we've learned since is that guys like Samuel L Jackson and Harvey Keitel look badass in just about everything. The moral being to look badass you have to be a badass or at least be good at seeming like a badass. Just wearing a black suit is not going to do the trick.

    Now, black outerwear never, ever goes out of style. NYC is the most stylish city in the nation, and if you want to spot the tourists in NYC in the winter it's easy - they're the ones not wearing black coats.
    In my experience it is harder to find a wool coat in a color other than black.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •