Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Bauhaus style, but I知 broke and have very specific Needs

  1. #21
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post
    I know the rodina was reviewed here but I知 also wondering about the kind of noise it makes.
    It's quiet. You can barely hear it with your ear against the watch

  2. #22
    Varsity Member Dun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windmill View Post
    It's quiet. You can barely hear it with your ear against the watch
    Is it a ticking or a winding noise?

  3. #23
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post
    Is it a ticking or a winding noise?
    Not sure what a winding noise would sound like, but I'd describe it as very rapid ticking. It's not like the slow sound of a second hand advancing. Does that help?

  4. #24
    Varsity Member Dun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by windmill View Post
    Not sure what a winding noise would sound like, but I'd describe it as very rapid ticking. It's not like the slow sound of a second hand advancing. Does that help?
    Thanks yeah. Rapid ticking could make sense as a winding noise

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Not sure if you're still on the fence, but I've had that cheap Rodina for 4 years now. It's great! Not my daily driver, but the look is great and someone has mistaken it for a Nomos once. Depressing conversation afterward...still a nice watch .

    Also, the Rodina is quiet. My Swatch sistem51 sounds like it's playing through a damn speaker.

  6. #26
    Varsity Member Dun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ciuffo View Post
    Not sure if you're still on the fence, but I've had that cheap Rodina for 4 years now. It's great! Not my daily driver, but the look is great and someone has mistaken it for a Nomos once. Depressing conversation afterward...still a nice watch .

    Also, the Rodina is quiet. My Swatch sistem51 sounds like it's playing through a damn speaker.

    4 years is pretty good for me. A lot of things in this price range seem to not be very scratch resistant so that kind of internal functionality should be good for my clumsy wrists

  7. #27
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post

    4 years is pretty good for me. A lot of things in this price range seem to not be very scratch resistant so that kind of internal functionality should be good for my clumsy wrists
    Even if you bought a luxury watch, it probably wouldn't be more scratch proof. It has a sapphire crystal, which is not only the best you can get, but a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. As far as the case, stainless steel is only 4.5, which is softer than a mineral crystal, but even many luxury watches have stainless steel.

  8. #28
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    620
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I disagree, these watches are not cheap and there is no logical reason not to buy a homage.
    Cost is relative, but imo, you look like a poser with a homage. Why bother, when there are so many interesting Seiko and Orient models for under $200 that are quality watches and not homages.

  9. #29
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Homage: unless there痴 a strange reason for it, (like the Bulova Royal Oak copy) the homage watch looks fine, until another watch guy sees it. Similar to the way driving a Chrysler 300 looks like driving a Rolls Royce... until one pulls up next to you.
    From a design standpoint, you can get more mileage from an in house design than from an homage design. Homage is generally a 礎est fit scenario, where existing parts are crammed together with a dial and bezel that are close to correct. But the movement isn稚 designed (usually) to fit that cases particulars, so movement rings are used, and the design aesthetic is a copied one.
    Unless the case dimensions are exact, your copy can look stretched or warped. The watch being hommaged (?) is usually iconic for a reason, mainly that it痴 proportions are well balanced.
    Go for original designs, it might turn out to your benefit if the watch becomes a new classic!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Cost is relative, but imo, you look like a poser with a homage. Why bother, when there are so many interesting Seiko and Orient models for under $200 that are quality watches and not homages.
    Yes cost is relative to one's budget. Although an argument the it is absolute can also be made. Calling watches under $200 cheap comes across as disparaging and doesn't reflect the quality of many of these watches. Sure a Rolex may have better quality, but a decent $150 watch isn't just going to fall apart.

    The OP needs a Bauhaus watch or maybe just a easy reading watch. Make a suggestion better than the homages already suggested.

    Also, not doing things because some people think you look like a poser is not a good way to go through life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •