Thread: Watch style question

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)

Watch style question

At present I only own watches with leather/canvas straps, but would like to get something with a titanium bracelet. Any advice on how to wear it? The silver of the band is a "cool" color. Can I wear it only with black/greys? Could I wear a titanium or stainless steel bracelet with browns and greens? Does face color matter? I'm considering something with a white face as my other watches are all dark blue/black. Thank you for any replies

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    Color rules are different with watches. Black dials are neutral and can be worn with anything. The silver is a neutral and can be worn with anything, even if you wear a gold wedding band. I only wear my white dial watches with lighter colored shirts and go for cream or grey in darker situations, but thats just a preference.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    I have a cool complexion, so all my metals are silver. As for color matching, colors have cool and warm versions, e.g. deep red vs. tomato red, icy yellow vs. mustard, mint green vs olive green etc. (green is a cool color by default btw). For browns, auburn or coffee would not clash with cool colors. So if you're cool, keep your metals silver and only wear cool colors. I keep my watch face white as it goes with everything.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1095 Post(s)
    I have worn the same watch for quite a while. SS Rolex GMT black dial with black/blue bezel. Don't over think it. The dial in white may be the only challenge I see.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I have worn the same watch for quite a while. SS Rolex GMT black dial with black/blue bezel. Don't over think it. The dial in white may be the only challenge I see.
    fully agree. the things to worry about are the more vibrant colors and if they mashup with what you are wearing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Well said. I have a titanium band on a dive watch (with a black dial) and I feel that I can literally wear it with anything. If you are concerned about the watch looking out of place, I would shy away from a white dial. IMO that is a bit flashy and will stand out on a metal bracelet. It sound like you are trying to avoid that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    As long as it's not a polished finish -- which being reflective catches the eye -- you can generally think of metal bracelets as grey. It's a background neutral, like the faucet in a bathroom.

At the same time the difference in texture allows it to stand out from fabrics in the same colour family, like a silk tie against a wool suit.

The watch face, as others have noted, is the greater concern. Against a neutral background brighter shades pop. Subdued dress watches tend to use cream dials rather than white specifically to prevent this.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Pic of the specific dial tone youíre looking for? White is generic, and could mean everything from bright plastic tooth paste white, to a brushed silver, or to even and ecru like color, all which present differently. If itís high polish, bright white dial, thatís different than a matte finish cream colored dial.
    Iíve got a number of watches I wear, and really donít think too much about the dial color. I think more about the case and strap colors. Gold tone with gold metals in the belt and cuff links, silver with like. Brown straps = brown shoes, black = black.
    But as previously stated, dials are usually considered neutral. Dress watches have a few things in common: usually no date, stick/minimal hour markers or Roman numerals, precious metal case, and white or dark dials on simple leather straps. Cocktail style can move from these restrictions with some dial color variations, and other complications, usually a more busy dial, and bracelets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk