Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casual watch options

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by embrassurespace View Post
    If you decide you want to stick with quartz, definitely consider the Casio Oceanus S100 or T200

https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-OCEANUS.../dp/B0073B4KVO
    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-OCW-T20...s%2C218&sr=8-1

Check out youtube for plenty of videos. Excelent watch. Even the peeps over on reddit/watches like it despite it not being an auto
    Except it's 41.5mm :/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Watch guy here. Music teacher too. Iím assuming the bassoon part of OPís handle might be an indicator, so speaking from an educators perspective, a dead beat second complication is important. What am I talking about? Dead beat second is your typical quartz Ďtickí. One second, one motion of the second hand. Now youíve got a metronome.
    Iíve got multiple variations of watches, some auto, some dead beat, some quartz. Most of my quartz are tuning fork movement or 262hZ, so those second hands donít tick per se. a chronograph complication can take care of that for you, but the cost gets more expensive at that point.
    MotionQuartz, or a hybrid movement, where energy is stored in a capacitor for use when the automatic movement is stalled is an option, but those arenít cheap either. Seiko makes a good one, so does Miyota, which is from Citizen and is available in many other brands.
    Automatics arenít bad, they just require more attention. A watch wonder can take care of that. Power reserve is your friend in this situation. How long will a watch run after itís been fully wound. 40 hours is typical, but that generally doesnít get you through a weekend without having to set the date.
    But to answer your question, a cheaper multiple use watch, with options. Field watch comes to mind. There are a few good ones on the market right now. Thatís without getting into the vintage question. Hamilton is currently top of the heap, Bulova just released one, Bertucci has a couple, and then there are Seiko options. Look for different straps, and decide if you like a white or black face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Except it's 41.5mm :/
    Casio lists its watch dimensions WITH crown so those watches are actually both smaller than their specs indicate. The T200 is 40mm and the T100 is a hair smaller, like 38 or 39.

Both are beautifully finished watches that pack immense bang for the buck, incidentally.
    Ben

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoonguy View Post
    I wasn't necessarily looking for the debate but since it came up I figured i'd share my thought process. I had no idea that changing the battery would void the warranty. That's why I come to this forum That does change things. Although, if I'm looking on the grey market that may be less of a concern. And thank you for the input on the winding issue. Another thought I didn't really consider. How much would you say servicing an automatic would cost?
    Most watch warranties would expire before you would need to change the battery. Outside of higher end brands like Rolex/Omega, most watches will only be warranted for 1-3 years. And keep in mind you get a shop warranty, not the factory warranty, when you buy on the grey market.

But if you have a watch serviced by the manufacturer they might warrant it for an extra year after the service or something.

The price of servicing an automatic watch movement can vary greatly but in general expect to pay no less than $100 at a bare minimum, and also expect it will take weeks or longer. My local watchmaker no longer lists his prices online but last I checked he charged $200-300 to do a full service on common entry-level Swiss and Japanese movements.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    271 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Casio lists its watch dimensions WITH crown so those watches are actually both smaller than their specs indicate. The T200 is 40mm and the T100 is a hair smaller, like 38 or 39.

Both are beautifully finished watches that pack immense bang for the buck, incidentally.
    Ok that's good news. I can support those then. I would classify those as interesting quartz.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Most watch warranties would expire before you would need to change the battery. Outside of higher end brands like Rolex/Omega, most watches will only be warranted for 1-3 years. And keep in mind you get a shop warranty, not the factory warranty, when you buy on the grey market.

But if you have a watch serviced by the manufacturer they might warrant it for an extra year after the service or something.
    completely accurate and a good point.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftToole View Post
    If you are looking for quartz I think citizen gives very good value. The have a nice-looking 42 mm field watch with a blue face
    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Chand.../dp/B07SKKR5CX

The also have a 39 mm blue-faced chronograph
    https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...T0200-21L.html

These are well below your stated budget however.
    I have a Citizen field watch - black dial with I think 38 or 39 mm case size. It's over a decade old and still keeps impeccable time. That eco-drive technology works great. Literally zero maintenance in more than 10 years - no battery replacement, no refurbishing, not work on the movement (not even sure quartz movements can be worked on but it hasn't needed it). It's the canvass strap one that has time, date, and day of week that goes for roughly $90-$140 (the price jumps around a bit) on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-D.../dp/B000EQS1JW. The strap it comes with is junk but swapping it out for a NATO strap is easy and it's just fantastic IMO. I think it may go another decade but if not I've more than got my money's worth out of it already and replacing it would be cheap and easy.
    ďClothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.Ē Ė Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    288 Post(s)
    I feel like this is similar to your Timex:

https://www.jomashop.com/citizen-watch-ca0621-05l.html

I agree with @mark4. Citizen eco drive watches are a great value and will last a very long time. I owned 2 different versions before I got bitten by the high end watch game.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Guilty as charged on the music teacher front. I'll look into the Citizen options. Thanks for the help.