Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knives Out tweed!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by napaxton View Post
    Oh, I'm sure that the version in the film is unaffordable! I assumed that as soon as I saw it.

But what about some sort of affordable version…? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    I watched the trailer on the Weekend Dossier. It doesn't show him in a tweed suit - looks more like a traditional flannel, though I guess it could be a muted less tweedy tweed - i.e. a tweed that isn't patterned. His overcoat is a herringbone tweed. In the movie poster he's wearing a tweed jacket (posted above by Evanparker) but there is a full length view available and it is not a suit - it's a sportcoat with tweed trousers of a different color. The sport coat is a green but the trousers are a brown so it's not a suit.

The only tweed (or tweed like - they have some cotton in the fabric mix whereas tweed is generally 100% wool - but they look like tweed) suits I know of from a wheelhouse Dappered source are J Crew's Moon Mills herringbone tweed. They used to make just the sport coat but this year (or maybe last) added matching trousers so you can make them into a suit. They're available in a mid-grey herringbone and a navy herringbone but sizes are very scattered. Must have been popular this year. S&M may have something similar - I have not explored their line of suits as I am pretty well set up at present.

If you want to go the sport coat trouser route, Brooks Brothers usually has a Harris Tweed jacket in their lineup every fall/winter. Or there's always Ebay and other vintage clothing purveyors...Harris Tweed wears like iron so there are a lot of vintage jackets at very reasonable prices, though it's tough to be sure you're getting the tailoring right (e.g. you may want something more fitted but wind up with something full cut) since you can't try it before you buy.
    Luxire has a whole slew of tweeds available MTM right now. Pricing is about on par with J Crew, and lower than most decent Brooks Brothers offerings. Tons of available colorways/patterns as well.

I'm holding out to splurge a tad with MAB but that's not really in the Dappered realm. You definitely get exactly what you want that route though.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    I had some good experiences with suits from Empire Outlet. Got two tweed suits from them. With some minor tailoring I was very happy.

https://www.empireoutlet.co

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Tweed, although more expensive. Believe the House Check is what was used for Lancelot in Kingsman. https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/country-suits

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
    I'm holding out to splurge a tad with MAB but that's not really in the Dappered realm. You definitely get exactly what you want that route though.
    Is this MABxHSS by any chance? I’ve been waiting to see how that pans out, pricing-wise.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kongmw View Post
    Is this MABxHSS by any chance? I’ve been waiting to see how that pans out, pricing-wise.
    No just going to NYC and being fitted.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    No just going to NYC and being fitted.
    Ahh I see. Would be great to see the process through the fittings if you don’t mind sharing it here. Don’t think we’ve had any bespoke threads here yet?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Curious to see how that turns out too, struggling to see the niche it fills since you can always just go directly to MAB and get MTM which should be better than the presumably RTW xHSS collection. So unless it's meaningfully cheaper to account for that, has some exclusive fabrics or designs, or if you can't get to NYC I'm not really clear on the value proposition.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quoted
    548 Post(s)
    Ahh I see. Would be great to see the process through the fittings if you don’t mind sharing it here. Don’t think we’ve had any bespoke threads here yet?
    Last time i tried to bring it up I was ridiculed and bitched at because "that's not what the site is about" so fuck the haters. I'll expend my efforts elsewhere for those who appreciate it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Last time i tried to bring it up I was ridiculed and bitched at because "that's not what the site is about" so fuck the haters. I'll expend my efforts elsewhere for those who appreciate it.
    Wow seriously? That’s depressing... add me to the list of people who’d be interested to hear about your experience.
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2112 Post(s)
    Can you link to where this happened?
    Ben