Thread: tailoring sweaters?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

tailoring sweaters?

quick question:

can sweaters be tailored? can I get the side seams taken in to reduce slop around the middle?

1) V-neck merino or cashmere sweater is standard part of my winter uniform,

2) I have to get XL to fit my shoulders, arms, and definitely length (6'6" w/ a 32" inseam, so way too much torso to cover)...

3) and I've been noticing that, even in new sweaters, I have 3,4 inches of slop at the waist. I would prefer not to have this slop.

any suggestions and experience appreciated.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hauttedoggie View Post
    quick question:

can sweaters be tailored? can I get the side seams taken in to reduce slop around the middle?

2) I have to get XL to fit my shoulders, arms, and definitely length (6'6" w/ a 32" inseam, so way too much torso to cover)...

3) and I've been noticing that, even in new sweaters, I have 3,4 inches of slop at the waist. I would prefer not to have this slop.

a tailor that has a special machine for doing stretchy and squishy fabric'd things called a SERGER can do this, but it's kind of an art more than a science, and takes some practice for them to get right. If you go to one that does not have this machine just leave. It can be done so it isn't visable, but it takes a very gentle and experienced hand. If you are stuck with a whole bunch of super nice material sweaters that don't fit you around the waist it can be worth getting done. If you are planning on buying new ones that aren't high quality AND don't fit will, it's probably not worth doing.

changing somewhere there is already a seam like altering the body seam under your arm to change the stomach measurement is possible but shortening a sweater's length is absolutely not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hauttedoggie View Post
    quick question:

Yes they can be. I've had it done to a couple of sweaters. The only potential issue is if the sweater is oversized around the middle AND has pockets close to where hand warmer pockets are generally placed. If you have to slim things down too much the pockets will wind up pretty close to the side seams and their placement may no longer look right. Up closer to the chest is not so much of an issue - if you needed a lot taken in there you probably would have bought a smaller size to begin with. With a pocketless sweater you shouldn't have any issues.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain