Thread: Tailor technical/athletic wear?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Tailor technical/athletic wear?

Hey all,

I recently purchased this quarter zip: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...cnynlnds12apt? amp=SEMSG_39700040962031386_nonbrand_dsa-391203971999&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvJXxBRCeARIsAMSkApqxg7Q tZlj-YKsl36IsyReSgPdxAmhGWHS3k3xElhDKZH4pfDRk1mQaAtWYEA Lw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unfortunately, I have shorter arms which results in most things with s/m/l sizing coming with sleeves longer than I would prefer. The sleeves on mine look like the model in the photo and I would like to shorten at least an inch. Does anyone have experience tailoring clothing like this? Is it worth a shot or better to avoid?

Thanks

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I don't see any reason not to. My tailor would certainly do it for me and not charge much

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    Could they? Sure, to me it would be a cost benefit. I personally wouldn't worry as much if my athletic clothes weren't as on point as my business wear but that's me. If it is of benefit to you I would do it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Could they? Sure, to me it would be a cost benefit. I personally wouldn't worry as much if my athletic clothes weren't as on point as my business wear but that's me. If it is of benefit to you I would do it.
    That makes sense - I should have noted that I don't want to tailor it for appearance purposes. I wear something like this a lot of golfing, camping, etc. and the longer sleeves get in the way. I roll em up a bit which then doesn't look great.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I think it really depends on your use.

I use my technical gear for sustained periods so fit is just as important as my business wear. Chaffing or other discomforts can be really tough after doing 10+ miles a day with a full pack and sleeping in the woods. Sleeves too long interfere with gloves or just get super dang annoying when you are worn out and grumpy lol.

Now just wearing to the gym as an outer layer on a cool day? Donít care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I think it really depends on your use.

I use my technical gear for sustained periods so fit is just as important as my business wear. Chaffing or other discomforts can be really tough after doing 10+ miles a day with a full pack and sleeping in the woods. Sleeves too long interfere with gloves or just get super dang annoying when you are worn out and grumpy lol.

Now just wearing to the gym as an outer layer on a cool day? Donít care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a good point. I was thinking of when I use a quarter zip which is either running errands or to the gym. Limited uses.

To the OP maybe, if itís a small length, try use hem glue and a couple stitches. Could be a cost saving idea. At least in my area every trip to the taylor is expensive, so while helpful I try to limit the use.