Thread: Current Spier SC sale

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Current Spier SC sale

With Spier’s current sport coat sale ending soon I find myself torn between two jackets. I need another sport coat like I need a hole in the head but we’re heading to Italy and Greece this summer with my wife’s parents, her sister and brother in law and my niece (6) and nephew (1) so it’s going to be hectic... and hot (end of June!)

I’m considering this:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/drago...undstooth.html

Or this:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/drago...ray-check.html

We’ll be staying 3-4 days in Venice, Sienna, Positano and finally Santorini. I have light brown and mid blue linen trousers I’ll be taking for dinners and some tech chinos and merino polos/tees for during the day, so this jacket will see limited (if any) daytime use. Which seems more versatile? And which would you pick? Why?

Thanks in advance fellas.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I like the check better. I find houndstooth too busy (and therefore also more likely to clash with other pieces). YMMV.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I like the first one better. The big checks are a little to much for my personal taste. Either would work though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I vote for the 2nd one with the check pattern. I feel like the overall light grey tone of the first one might not work all that well with light brown trousers. The check pattern of the 2nd will help make it distinct from what I'm going to assume are non-patterned trousers.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I like the big checks of jacket 2, but I think for versatility the first one is a better bet. It's more casual feeling to me and easier to just throw on.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    Have you considered the unlined sport coats in the Bonobos sale? They're great in the warm weather and would be easier to travel with than a linen blend. That light brown one is killer. It would be super versatile.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Have you considered the unlined sport coats in the Bonobos sale? They're great in the warm weather and would be easier to travel with than a linen blend. That light brown one is killer. It would be super versatile.
    I have their beige unconstructed blazer from last year. It's a definite possibility for the trip. Unfortunately they don't have anything in my size right now (40R Standard)