Thread: Menswear in London?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)

Menswear in London?

Iím heading over to London for a week and a half for business and wondering if I should go to any specific shops or what brands are considered dappered approved. Iíve searched the site and came up with the following:

Walk along Savile Row and then Jermyn Street (Savile Row's a bit high end)
    Footwear: Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent, Trickers, Loake, Barker, and Cheaney.
    For shirts: Charles Tyrwhitt and T. M. Lewin
    Department stores: Harrods, Selfridges, Debenhams, Fenwicks, John Lewis

Any other things to keep an eye out for? Any tips on your top things to do for a first timer to London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I was there in December, and was able to hit some of those places. I tried to focus on things we don't have ready access to here, so I didn't bother going to stores like Tyrwhitt or Lewin (I also wear dress shirts very infrequently, so YMMV). I liked John Lewis a lot, found it similar to Nordstrom in terms of where it lands in the market, and while I didn't buy anything there, I liked their private-label clothes. I enjoyed seeing the Harrods store, but personally got nothing out of it relative to the merchandise they carry, because it's all very high-end and pretty fashion-forward, and I have no interest in either of those areas. I went to a Loake store on Brushfield Street (there are others, of course) that was staffed by two very pleasant guys, and had a nice conversation with them.

One thing that I'm not sure people know about: Drake's has a factory store on the ground floor of its tie factory building. Lots and lots of ties, plenty of scarves, and a smaller amount of other clothing (shirts, sportcoats, outerwear). It's on Haberdasher Street (seriously) at the corner of East Road, relatively accessible by Tube or bus (nearest station is Old Street). I bought a scarf, and thought it was worth my time to go there. If you wear ties for work, or just like them, it's great. Check their hours; it's closed Sundays.

Aside from clothes/shoes, I really enjoyed the Victoria & Albert Museum (decorative arts and design). It's enormous, and you probably won't be able to see everything. The Transport Museum is also fun if you are into that sort of thing. They also offer behind-the-scenes "Hidden London" tours of select Tube stations. You have to buy tickets for the tour in advance, and the station changes month to month. We went to Piccadilly Circus and it was a really interesting tour. More info here: https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/hidden-london

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I went for the first time last June and spent a lot of time looking at (and buying) clothes. Yes, you CAN buy Loake, Barker, Trickers, etc. online, but there is still something about going into a brick and mortar and seeing the actual product. Added to that, in every single shop, the clerks were all exceptionally nice and helpful.

Check out Harvie and Hudson. I'm currently wearing a dark green tweed sportcoat I got there and one of three dress shirts I got while there. There are a few locations, but I went to the one in Jermyn Street.

If you're into vintage, go to Brick Lane. There are tons of vintage shops with really good selections. If you want a secondhand Barbour, Belstaff, Aquascutum, Burberry jacket or coat or Baracuta Harrington, you will be in hog heaven. They are ALL over the place, and decent in price.

I walked through Harrod's and Selfridge's just to see how the 1% of the 1% live. I bought a mug at Harrod's. I'm Dappered to the core!

If you like music, there is a two hour walking tour around SoHo that reveals all of these iconic places from the 60s and 70s rock scene: where the Stones cut their first album, where all of the Pink Floyd album covers were designed, where Peter Grant met Led Zeppelin, where Jimi Hendrix played a concert with McCartney, Bowie, Mercury, Clapton and others in attendance...it's amazing how much you see in just a few blocks. And all for 10 pounds!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    One more thing, as you walk along Savile Row, you gaze slightly up at the shop windows. If you look down, however, at the below-ground level, you'll see the tailors at their tables, cutting the fabric. I stood and watched a lady hand stitch a breast pocket on a suit jacket for a good five minutes!