Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Automatic Watch - Dark Dial Okay?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

First Automatic Watch - Dark Dial Okay?

I am thinking about picking up my first watch and have been eyeing the new Orient Maestro. In any case, my watch will have a leather band. I am not a big fan of metal bracelets. I typically prefer minimalist looking watchesand initially wanted the Maestro with a white dial and blue hands. I am wondering if it stands out a bit too much. I have been considering going with the blue dial and that brings me to my question.

Is the dark blue dial flexible enough to wear with any color / business casual / sportcoats etc? I would not say it is a casual watch and likely wouldnt wear it overly casually, but just want to make sure it wont be out of place in a business casual setting and with all colors of dress shirt etc.

Thoughts? I initially was leaning bambino but i just cant get past that weird strap size (21mm)! The Maestro is a 20 like the Bambino should be.

Maestro white - https://www.orientwatchusa.com/colle.../ra-ac0e02s10a
    Maestro blue - https://www.orientwatchusa.com/colle.../ra-ac0e04l10a

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Blue dials are completely fine. If anything, blue dials are "in" nowadays, due to the slew of steel sports watches that are impossible to buy right now (e.g., Nautilus, Royal, Oak, etc.). That Maestro in a blue dial is not going to throw it into a different category (i.e., it's not suddenly a sports watch instead of being a dress watch now).

Perhaps you wouldn't wear something blue with certain colors generally (e.g., blue works great with brown, but perhaps not with a very monochrome outfit that's black/white/shades of gray), but blue is generally a pretty versatile color.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    That watch is a stunner! I prefer the blue dial personally and to answer your question, absolutely itís flexible enough to wear with many, if not any, color and for any of the occasions. For a dress watch, I agree, leather strap is the way to go. If you want even more flexibility with the color combos and scenarios, pick up a brown leather strap for when you go brown shoes, and maybe even a blue and white nato for more casual occasions. Ya know, since the strap size is actually standard!

As an aside, I have a bambino and finding straps that fits is a bit of an issue.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    As an aside, I have a bambino and finding straps that fits is a bit of an issue.
    Yeah that is the only negative to that watch. My buddy has a 2 version one with a white dial and silver bezel and was willing to let it go for 60 bucks. I really had to talk myself out of it but all of my straps are 20mm

That watch is a stunner!
    I really fell in love with this one, but i just cannot part with that kinda money on a watch ..yet Who knows - maybe one day i will cave. I absolutely love how that curved glass looks on that full dial. Gorgeous!

https://youtu.be/G3Qv0KA7-1o?t=9

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    My everyday automatic is a white dial with blue hands. I love it. Goes with everything from suits to jeans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I have about two dozen watches, maybe half of which I wear semi-regularly or in a weekly rotation. Only two of them have white or silver dials. I just prefer black, gray, or blue. I think this Orient looks sophisticated enough to wear in dressier situations. As for straps, you will find that there are many, many sources out there. 21 width is definitely harder to find, but it can be done.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    The blue dial on that Orient watch is nice. If that's the watch the tickles your fancy, go for it. Dark dial or not.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I wore a blue dial for the One Watch Challenge thread. Straps might be an issue. Iíd also suggest paying more for the bracelet. Multiple reasons for it, but essentially it boils down to not having it if you want it later. Leather straps are cheap, bracelets are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1158 Post(s)

First Automatic Watch - Dark Dial Okay?

I prefer dark dial as it tends to work better as a neutral. But that white...that went on my list as an upgrade for the weekender. Thatís nice.

And 21mm lugs are super annoying. But ona. Vintage vibe watch like the bambino I donít mind a little lug gap and would use 20mm. After all, bond was cool with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    547 Post(s)
    Curious for those that use a dark dial, say black, do you ever worry that it may clash with a navy suit or not go if wearing non black other items like belt and shoes?

Thatís always whatís steered me to white and gray for my watch faces for the ones that see daily use. Thoughts? Am I over analyzing?