Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Automatic Watch - Dark Dial Okay?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Curious for those that use a dark dial, say black, do you ever worry that it may clash with a navy suit or not go if wearing non black other items like belt and shoes?

That’s always what’s steered me to white and gray for my watch faces for the ones that see daily use. Thoughts? Am I over analyzing?
    I used to but in the watch world, black is neutral. For navy suites, I still chose to wear a cream dial watch because I cant totally get behind that but for everyday wear with something like a navy sweater, I dont worry about black dials clashing. And i wear black dials on brown leather straps with brown shoes/belt all the time. Black and brown match. the "rule" is to match all your leathers. a black dial with brown leather strap or steel is perfectly fine. If I had to pick a single watch out of my watch box, it would be the black dialed hamilton khaki on steel. I would wear it with anything except a tux, and for a tux I would probably not wear a watch at all.

and it should be noted that the only black items in my wardrobe are technical gear for caping/hiking. I dont even have a pair of black cap toes (GASP). I just dont like black leather or black as a primary color on clothing. it reminds me too much of when I didnt know how to match colors and just wore black with everything.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Black and navy is a classic combination. Look at military uniforms, or a midnight blue tuxedo jacket with black facing, trousers and shoes. On an accessory black is more an absence of colour than a competing one.

My primary watch is a stainless Tissot with a darker greyish-blue face. With the mostly brushed steel bracelet I can wear it with anything short of black tie and it will look appropriate.

As @idvsego noted, the more noticeable issue would be making sure your leathers match or are in the same colour family.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    @hockeysc23 I think you are over analyzing. A black watch face with a navy suit will work just fine IMHO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    If you can wear black shoes with it, a black watch would be fine. Note: I said *can* not should...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    Black and navy is a classic combination. Look at military uniforms, or a midnight blue tuxedo jacket with black facing, trousers and shoes. On an accessory black is more an absence of colour than a competing one.

My primary watch is a stainless Tissot with a darker greyish-blue face. With the mostly brushed steel bracelet I can wear it with anything short of black tie and it will look appropriate.

As @idvsego noted, the more noticeable issue would be making sure your leathers match or are in the same colour family.
    I tend to think you can cheat on leather colors by throwing a grey or navy band on a watch.

For anyone who wants examples of clashing shoe and watch band colors working just fine, start paying attention to well dressed women. Women break this "rule" constantly, and it still doesn't look out of place.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    I tend to think you can cheat on leather colors by throwing a grey or navy band on a watch.

For anyone who wants examples of clashing shoe and watch band colors working just fine, start paying attention to well dressed women. Women break this "rule" constantly, and it still doesn't look out of place.
    A lot of our rules are just for people that are learning color interactions and formality guidelines. Once you have a good feel for that, you know when a rule can be broken. I think they should just be training wheels while you learn.

The rule is really to use all brown or all black and not mix the two. Going with a colored leather or suede gets you away from that rule and will let you add variety. Or go into fabrics and really open it up. I am a fan of canvas straps. A black dial watch on a grey canvas strap is about as versatile a set as you can get, formality excluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk