Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suit Belt Question

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    I didnít realize this was a thing until recently either. But now I do notice it. I agree ianr, probably one of those things that might be too small a detail to really worry about. Iíve always worn a belt, not realizing I was a heathen!
    As far as worrying about detail, I would suggest if you are wearing a suit normally, nobody should see loops with a belt or without, just like they should not see braces. If you wear your jacket flapping open while you are standing, people might notice the waist. But, if you button the jacket when standing, nobody would see your waist.

There was a thing about Prince Harry a while back where he wore a suit with no tie and no belt. How did anyone notice there was no belt? Because Harry also wore his jacket open. Critics also comment when Harry walks around with a tuxedo with the jacket open.

Whether or not you care may go to what attitude about suiting you are taking. Are you trying to blend in or are you doing you?

In any case, if you don't want to worry about this belt loop/belt requirement nonsense, taking the belt loops off is usually easy. The only exception is if the belt loops are built into the waist internally... then it is a little more difficult and I wouldn't recommend it. Usually, they are just attached superficially as it is less expensive to attach them like that.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    660 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    As far as worrying about detail, I would suggest if you are wearing a suit normally, nobody should see loops with a belt or without, just like they should not see braces. If you wear your jacket flapping open while you are standing, people might notice the waist. But, if you button the jacket when standing, nobody would see your waist.
    Good point. I was thinking about this as well.

And last night, out wearing a blazer, I was noticing how much vigilance it took to remember to keep buttoning my blazer when I stood up.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    660 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CK83 View Post
    Hereís just one example, but there are many that echo this one:

https://www.bespokepost.com/the-post...lt-with-a-suit

I didnít realize this was a thing until recently either. But now I do notice it. I agree ianr, probably one of those things that might be too small a detail to really worry about. Iíve always worn a belt, not realizing I was a heathen!
    This article is silly.

What's next? Should a man zip his fly or leave it open?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Good point. I was thinking about this as well.

And last night, out wearing a blazer, I was noticing how much vigilance it took to remember to keep buttoning my blazer when I stood up.
    Blazers are not as big of a deal; sports jackets even less. A suit jacket should be buttoned when standing.
    Last edited by ianr; January 20th, 2020 at 12:35 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    If you have loops and don't wear a belt, it's going to look like you forgot your belt.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1518 Post(s)
    I am pro belt. I wear one with my suit.
    If my suit had those side-pulley-things, to negate the need for a belt, then obviously I'd go sans-belt. But if my pants have loops, I'm wearing a belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    If you have loops and don't wear a belt, it's going to look like you forgot your belt.
    I agree! I think this is why I wouldn't ditch the belt. Looks like you're on a business trip and forgot to pack a belt.

I guess if I want to go beltless I need to look for a suit with some side pulley things!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Permanent Style just had a post on belts and side adjustors ...

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/...-and-tabs.html

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Nobody's going to give you grief for wearing a belt with pants that have belt loops. You might miss out on compliments for being at the cutting edge of fashion and style, but that's unlikely.

People WILL however, give you grief for not wearing a belt with pants that have belt loops. You might get some of those compliments, but are more likely to have people think you forgot to get dressed all the way.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I think if your plan is to keep your jacket buttoned at all times then you can go beltless with no problem. I sometimes do this.

Also, if the trousers have an extended closure then they can still look ok without a belt while the jacket is open. At least I think so.