Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: During this sale, I'm wondering if the AE Independence Line is a True Upgrade

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)

During this sale, I'm wondering if the AE Independence Line is a True Upgrade

As you may have noticed, AE has a great sale right now. And some of their upscale Independence Line shoes are on sale for less than $300. I've never liked my black oxford wingtips from Wolf and Sheppard, so this may be the time to replace them. (I'm one in, one out on shoes right now).

But I'm wondering if the price bump for the Independence Line is work it. Anybody have them? What do you think?

For example, I can get the Jefferson wingtip for $290 or the MacAllister for $225.

Worth the extra $$$?
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I have two pair of Independence Line shoes and a slew of their regular line. I definitely recommend the Independence Line. The leather is definitely a step up. The leather itself is more supple and the finish is just a notch above. I would say it’s worth the money.

I love my Jefferson and there are a couple of pics in What Shoes I Wore Today thread of you want some real life pics.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I have two pair of Independence Line shoes and a slew of their regular line. I definitely recommend the Independence Line. The leather is definitely a step up. The leather itself is more supple and the finish is just a notch above. I would say it’s worth the money.

I love my Jefferson and there are a couple of pics in What Shoes I Wore Today thread of you want some real life pics.
    Thanks! I just pulled the trigger on the Jefferson. I guess I will see if I like them.

Maybe I will get another pair of something in this line.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Quoted
    662 Post(s)
    the leather on that collection is a substantial step up to something you might find on a higher end shoe like, say, an Alden. Very worth it IMO.

The JR soles the shoes come with are also a big upgrade. They even last longer.

I don't think i'd pay the supposed going rate for them, but i'd pay the sale price you mentioned all day.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    the leather on that collection is a substantial step up to something you might find on a higher end shoe like, say, an Alden. Very worth it IMO.

I don't think i'd pay the supposed going rate for them, but i'd pay the sale price you mentioned all day.
    The independence line uses JR soles? I had no idea...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post

They don't say they have JR soles, which I agree would be a big upgrade. That said, the soles in the pictures are different from the soles in the pictures of the mainline shoe equivalent--so maybe they are JR soles. They do note the lambskin lining, which is another upgrade, I think.

At any rate, for most the Independence collection right now with this sale, they are at lower prices than the mainline shoes, so if anybody needed a shoe right now, it's a great deal for under $300.

It looks like they might be discontinuing the Independence collection--the selection is very limited even at full price and it's not listed as a collection on the main page of the site anymore. For example, the Hopkinson (Park Ave. style) is only available in Merlot and only sizes 9, 10, 12, and 14. It's only $250. And I wear a 12--so, I maybe will pick up those as well. I'm nuts. I don't need them.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/c...ce-collection/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I am pretty confident that they ARE NOT JR soles. My Shell have JR soles and it had the logo on the bottom, while the Independence Line does not.

I forgot to mention the lamb skin lining. Huge upgrade in comfort!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.
    My last two AE purchases (Dalton's and Liverpool Chelsea's) have been seconds and I literally cannot find the defect. I highly recommend them, I've had great luck with them so far.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    The 201 last is a good one.