Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: During this sale, I'm wondering if the AE Independence Line is a True Upgrade

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Wow, I'm getting cranky in my old age.
    Ha! I was told today that I'm just a rocking chair away from being the old guy on the porch yelling at the kids!

Also, what new shoes did you get?

How do you like them?
    I bought the Ace cap toe in brown https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...81-105-3E.html
    I haven't worn them out yet but I think I love them. I wanted a solid casual shoe for jeans and I think this is it. I had my eyes on the Thursday Boots Statesman in Tobacco for a while but just never fell in love. I still think it's a great looking shoe but the soft leather cap toe of the Ace won me over pretty quickly. I wore them around the house with denim when they arrived and I really loved the look.
    Last edited by JohnR; January 23rd, 2020 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Ha! I was told today that I'm just a rocking chair away from being the old guy on the porch yelling at the kids!

I bought the Ace cap toe in brown https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...p-toe-blucher/
    I haven't worn them out yet but I think I love them. I wanted a solid casual shoe for jeans and I think this is it. I had my eyes on the Thursday Boots Statesman in Tobacco for a while but just never fell in love. I still think it's a great looking shoe but the soft leather cap toe of the Ace won me over pretty quickly. I wore them around the house with denim when they arrived and I really loved the look.
    Yes, great-looking shoe! I like details better than a plain toe, and the cap is just enough when compared to the Statesman--at least for my taste.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Yes, great-looking shoe! I like details better than a plain toe, and the cap is just enough when compared to the Statesman--at least for my taste.
    My feelings, exactly

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    There's a suede trunk show happening soon, with all but one color the same Janus reverse calf used on the slipper-like massdrop chukkas.

I won't be taking part as there isn't a store reasonably close to me with in-store examples so I have no idea which colorway or style I would want.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Those are Carminas, it might be a European thing but overwhelming majority of my oxfords have the narrowing eyelets as you go up. I canÂ’t remember the source but there was either an article or video interviewing a maker where they explained that it was to accommodate a slight v in the facing.
    Yeah, I could see the tapered eyelets being a European thing. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if having an intentional V versus a closed or nearly closed facing were a European versus Anglo style difference. Sort of like open versus closed quarters on a suit jacket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As you may have noticed, AE has a great sale right now. And some of their upscale Independence Line shoes are on sale for less than $300. I've never liked my black oxford wingtips from Wolf and Sheppard, so this may be the time to replace them. (I'm one in, one out on shoes right now).

But I'm wondering if the price bump for the Independence Line is work it. Anybody have them? What do you think?

For example, I can get the Jefferson wingtip for $290 or the MacAllister for $225.

Worth the extra $$$?
    Yep. The 201 last has a lot more instep room and is a bit wider than the 65 last. The lambskin lining is also excellent and the leather used on the shoes is a step above other AE shoes. However, AE is shrinking the range and removing all colors except black and Walnut and only has three styles for the Oxfords. Cap toe, brouged cap toe and wingtip.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk