Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: During this sale, I'm wondering if the AE Independence Line is a True Upgrade

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.
    Yes, got some seconds for me (Stirling boot) and another pair for my son (MSP Split-toe Blucher) in August. I was surprised at how good they were. The boot leather had a few crease marks, but it is Horween Dublin leather, and my understanding is that is normal for that leather. At any rate, once they are on, you can't see any creases that are worse than how other shoes crease. And the leather is very soft.

On the other MSP, nobody except me noticed the imperfection. The color was a bit off on one shoe near where the upper was sewed to the sole, near the back on the side. But like I said, nobody noticed but me. They look way better in person than on the website.

So, it's funny--I've had AE firsts that had more imperfections than these two pairs of seconds. I think they are letting the customer returns be their QC program.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I am pretty confident that they ARE NOT JR soles. My Shell have JR soles and it had the logo on the bottom, while the Independence Line does not.

I forgot to mention the lamb skin lining. Huge upgrade in comfort!
    Yes, all the JR soles I've seen have big JR's stamped on the bottom.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Yes, got some seconds for me (Stirling boot) and another pair for my son (MSP Split-toe Blucher) in August. I was surprised at how good they were. The boot leather had a few crease marks, but it is Horween Dublin leather, and my understanding is that is normal for that leather. At any rate, once they are on, you can't see any creases that are worse than how other shoes crease. And the leather is very soft.

On the other MSP, nobody except me noticed the imperfection. The color was a bit off on one shoe near where the upper was sewed to the sole, near the back on the side. But like I said, nobody noticed but me. They look way better in person than on the website.

So, it's funny--I've had AE firsts that had more imperfections than these two pairs of seconds. I think they are letting the customer returns be their QC program.
    That's my concern--I've had bad luck with firsts. Maybe I need to try seconds

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    The 201 last is a good one.
    That's what I'm noticing. It seems a smidge sleeker than the 65. Has a slight chisel and a little less bulbous.

Also one of the comments about the Jefferson stands out. He says that for him the 201 lets the laces come together whereas the 65 has laces spread apart. I've noticed tons of shoe selfies on the various style forums with 65 last AEs straining into an open V shape. If the 201 solves this problem, that is a good feature.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    The 201 last is a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    That's what I'm noticing. It seems a smidge sleeker than the 65. Has a slight chisel and a little less bulbous.

Also one of the comments about the Jefferson stands out. He says that for him the 201 lets the laces come together whereas the 65 has laces spread apart. I've noticed tons of shoe selfies on the various style forums with 65 last AEs straining into an open V shape. If the 201 solves this problem, that is a good feature.
    Well, interesting--I thought it was the same last as the MacAllister, but it's not. I hope that's not a problem. The 12.5 MacAllister is a pretty decent fit for me. They don't make 12.5 for Jefferson, so I ordered 12, which for most shoes is good for me. But some of the AE shoes have been tight in a 12D.

I guess I will see.

Oh--just discovered that Stirling is also 201 last--that fits great in a 12D. I guess I got lucky.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    They also dug out some old walnut Warwicks on the 201, for $199. Those are great, if you like single monks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by facelessghost View Post
    On a related note, has anyone played the seconds game recently? I'm in the market for black cap toes, and I'd love to get the Parkinson, but not for $500+. Seconds are about $230 in the current sale, but the restocking fee is always a concern.
    I just purchased my 3rd pair of 2nds and am 3-for-3 in the happy customer dept

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    648 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    the leather on that collection is a substantial step up to something you might find on a higher end shoe like, say, an Alden. Very worth it IMO.

The JR soles the shoes come with are also a big upgrade. They even last longer.

I don't think i'd pay the supposed going rate for them, but i'd pay the sale price you mentioned all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    I am pretty confident that they ARE NOT JR soles. My Shell have JR soles and it had the logo on the bottom, while the Independence Line does not.

I forgot to mention the lamb skin lining. Huge upgrade in comfort!
    Now I can see why there is some confusion.

Some AE come with JR soles, for example, this cordovan Park Avenue:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...0aAqvwEALw_wcB

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Now I can see why there is some confusion.

Some AE come with JR soles, for example, this cordovan Park Avenue:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...0aAqvwEALw_wcB
    All of their Shell Cordovan come with JR soles. Those are the only ones that I know of that do, but I am not an expert.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post

If the laces are spread apart, if means you're wearing the wrong width size and need to go up 1 in width. The 65 runs one width size small, so of you're a 10D on a brannock, you need a 10E for a proper fit in the 65 pretty much.