Thread: Dress shirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Dress shirts

For Christmas, I got a dress shirt and some cufflinks. The shirt is just a standard barrel cuff shirt. Is there a way I can have an alterations tailor make the cuff into a hybrid cuff so I can wear it with cufflinks?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    You could probably get a tailor to remove the buttons and cut an additional button hole on the other sleeve. In theory that may work with cufflinks, but I don't know how good it would look.

However, if you're looking to turn it into a full blown french cuff shirt I don't think that is possible. It would require several extra inches of fabric on the sleeve that would then need to be folded back over the cuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I would just wanna turn I in to a hybrid that can have cufflinks or can be buttoned

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeh5335 View Post
    I would just wanna turn I in to a hybrid that can have cufflinks or can be buttoned
    If by hybrid you mean similar to a rental tuxedo shirt then yes a tailor could just cut a hole in between the buttons. You could probably also do that at home yourself if you wanted to. Keep in mind that you'll be able to see the buttons when you're using the cufflinks. Not sure if that's a deal breaker for you or not. It would be for me.

Is there anything about this particular shirt that makes it special? Is it a really unique pattern or something? If not, you might be better off buying a french cuff shirt that you can wear when you want to wear your cufflinks. You can get a decent quality one for $30-40 during a sale from any number of places (Nordstrom, Charles Tyrwhitt, Macy's, etc.).