Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Style Scenario: How to do Athleisure, and not look sloppy

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

    Style Scenario: How to do Athleisure, and not look sloppy

    simple answer: don't do Athleisure

    (I'm assuming here that Athleisure is going out & about in athlethic-ish clothing styles, not going to the gym or returning in your work out clothes)

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Between this post and the post yesterday blatantly making fun of people who own Rolex watches, Iíve had enough of Joe for the year already.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hauttedoggie View Post
    simple answer: don't do Athleisure

    (I'm assuming here that Athleisure is going out & about in athlethic-ish clothing styles, not going to the gym or returning in your work out clothes)
    Agree. If you are wearing athleisure, you have intentionally chosen to dress sloppy. Wear gym clothes to the gym, at the gym, and on the way home from the gym. Just because you call your gym clothes "athleisure" doesn't make them not gym clothes. It isn't that hard to put on real clothes.

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,174
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Between this post and the post yesterday blatantly making fun of people who own Rolex watches, Iíve had enough of Joe for the year already.
    I didn't really understand the Rolex commentary as it was talking about buying a watch that looks like a particular Rolex model.

    To me, that's a little like saying you don't like being flashy and wearing alligator-skin loafers is too flashy, so you jumped at the opportunity to buy loafers that look like alligator skin.

  5. #5
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,342
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    532 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Between this post and the post yesterday blatantly making fun of people who own Rolex watches, Iíve had enough of Joe for the year already.
    I have to admit that post definitely threw me off. I donít own a Rolex but would love to get one some day. If itís not for you thatís fine but for some itís something that is important to them.

    Instead he advertises a cheap watch that blatantly copies it. The hope of that watch style is that people think itís a Rolex Pepsi.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,612
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Agree. If you are wearing athleisure, you have intentionally chosen to dress sloppy.
    Let's not confuse casual with sloppy. T-shirts are extremely casual, but there are t-shirts that look good and there are t-shirts that look sloppy. Swim trunks are extremely casual, but there are swim trunks that look good and there are swim trunks that look sloppy. Similarly, just because an item of clothing is formal doesn't mean it can't be sloppy. There are plenty of dudes out there who look hella sloppy in a suit that's a gross color, two sizes too big, not appropriately furnished, etc.

    Now, I tend to agree that athleisure belongs at the gym in general. But there are also scenarios where the right athleisure could be appropriate outside the gym... walking your dog, early morning coffee run, hitting the grocery store on the way back home from the gym, whatever. And certainly, there is a spectrum of "this looks nice" and "this looks sloppy" within the realm of athleisure. So if you're going to wear athleisure in public, you might as well wear it the "this looks nice" way and not the "this looks sloppy" way.
    Ben

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Between this post and the post yesterday blatantly making fun of people who own Rolex watches, I’ve had enough of Joe for the year already.
    Yeah I feel like saying Rolex's are exclusively for finance bros is like saying fleece vests are exclusively for finance bros also. If it's not your thing that's fine, but turning a very small minority into the majority is a bit over the top.

    To me buying a watch because you want to try and fool people into thinking it's expensive is the real crime. Buy something because you like/want it, not because you want to try and look wealthy.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,612
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2109 Post(s)
    FWIW I interpreted the Rolex comments as critical of people who spend $10,000+ on an old, used watch that cost maybe $6,000 MSRP just to show they've got $10,000 to throw at a watch.

    And he didn't say it's exclusively for finance bros, just that "it’s also been adopted as the watch of choice by tacky finance-bros."
    Ben

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southeastern MA
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Let's not confuse casual with sloppy. T-shirts are extremely casual, but there are t-shirts that look good and there are t-shirts that look sloppy. Swim trunks are extremely casual, but there are swim trunks that look good and there are swim trunks that look sloppy. Similarly, just because an item of clothing is formal doesn't mean it can't be sloppy. There are plenty of dudes out there who look hella sloppy in a suit that's a gross color, two sizes too big, not appropriately furnished, etc.

    Now, I tend to agree that athleisure belongs at the gym in general. But there are also scenarios where the right athleisure could be appropriate outside the gym... walking your dog, early morning coffee run, hitting the grocery store on the way back home from the gym, whatever. And certainly, there is a spectrum of "this looks nice" and "this looks sloppy" within the realm of athleisure. So if you're going to wear athleisure in public, you might as well wear it the "this looks nice" way and not the "this looks sloppy" way.
    I think this comment nails it. My wife and I are always genuinely suprised at how many people don't get dressed to leave the house anymore but there are definitely people in "gym" clothes that look intentional and some that just look lazy.

    One thing in particular that blows my mind is when people wear sock with sandals (slides). You went through the work of putting on socks but decided a closed shoe was too much?

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Let's not confuse casual with sloppy. T-shirts are extremely casual, but there are t-shirts that look good and there are t-shirts that look sloppy. Swim trunks are extremely casual, but there are swim trunks that look good and there are swim trunks that look sloppy. Similarly, just because an item of clothing is formal doesn't mean it can't be sloppy. There are plenty of dudes out there who look hella sloppy in a suit that's a gross color, two sizes too big, not appropriately furnished, etc.

    Now, I tend to agree that athleisure belongs at the gym in general. But there are also scenarios where the right athleisure could be appropriate outside the gym... walking your dog, early morning coffee run, hitting the grocery store on the way back home from the gym, whatever. And certainly, there is a spectrum of "this looks nice" and "this looks sloppy" within the realm of athleisure. So if you're going to wear athleisure in public, you might as well wear it the "this looks nice" way and not the "this looks sloppy" way.
    I completely agree that you can dress casual without being sloppy, and you can dress formal and still look sloppy. Your examples are spot on.

    I disagree that anyone can or should try to wear athleisure without looking sloppy. I know folks disagree with me. I expressed this opinion a year or so ago, and everyone attacked me for it. I actually quit posting after that because the attacks in that thread made me think I no longer had anything to gain from reading the posts on this message board. I had achieved sartorial satisfaction, and there were no lessons to be learned by people defending wearing athleisure in public. I just happened to check in today, on the same day that this athleisure post was made, and I still have the same opinion I did a year ago. I don't care how fitted or tapered your sweatpants are or how clean your Nike running shoes are or how big the Gucci logo on your sweatshirt is, you are still wearing gym clothes. Athleisure is a word made up by people too rich to care how they look and passed down to people that want an excuse to wear sweatpants in public because they are too lazy to put on real clothes. In my professional world, I will not take people wearing athleisure seriously in the same way I will not take people with facial tattoos and piercings seriously.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •